Manchurian Apricot

Has anyone ever grown a Manchurian Apricot (Prunus mandshurica)?

I recently added one at the last minute to a mostly plant order from Henry Fields. It was only $9.99 (w/coupon) so I thought why not. I know most sources say they are too bitter /sour for fresh eating but some web sites claim they are ok for fresh eating (I strongly doubt this from what I’ve read). Some sites say they are good polinators for some other apricots, some say not.

I’ve done a good deal of internet reading on them, but I would love any actual experience/information anyone might have on these. Thanks.

1 Like

I ate some Alaska-grown Manchurian Apricot last summer. Although this was a mature tree, 2016 was the first year the fruit actually ripened. They were mild flavored and fairly dry. Bob Purvis suggested MA as a good cold hardy rootstock.

1 Like

Thank-you, Duane. That actually sounds more promising than I expected. Not exactly a rave review for the taste, but apparently more palatable than I expected. If it is at all edible fresh I’d be happy. If not, I’d at least like to know if it would make good preserves.

It seems to be quite unusual in its hardiness and other characteristics, and I like growing odd-balls- though its only fun for me if they produce something I can use! THanks again.

1 Like

I have had two in the back yard for 16 years or so. They bloom really early and rarely get fruit here, one year they were loaded with little apricots the size of a ping pong ball but they were very dry and did not have much flavor. I believe that Manchurian apricots are grown from seed like Nanking cherries and not grafted so fruit may vary. I cut both way back last year and put amadiocot on one of them and plant to put another named apricot on this year.

1 Like

As said above, it’s really a rootstock, not much value as a fruit.

Well, back to where I started! Oh well…I can always top work it I suppose. Its a shame how many nursery web sites claim it produces good fruit, but I should be used to misleading descriptions by now!

1 Like

I have a couple, 5 years old. They bloomed in late February here in MD this year, bloomed last year too but I think that was their first bloom. Haven’t tried a fruit from them yet. Those early flower can get zapped by late freezes. Hope they are semi-palatable, for both of our sakes!