Garden Markers

Berry…that is also what I used. I’m not sure if flashing is typically thicker than trim coil, but I don’t really think so. Trim coil is also much thicker than a pop can (4-5 X thicker I’d guess) and it punched it as readily as punching paper. I actually found this a bit surprising as the punch I had was one of those tiny little 2-3" long things…and a cheapy one at that.

Sounds good Speedster. FWIW though, the stainless safety wire we use is extremely soft and twists easier than anything. I don’t know how they manage to take a very hard and stiff material like stainless and make it that way, but they do.

hahaha…the only thing I was hyped about was quiting with it. lol

2 Likes

Appleseed,
I made a mistake and bought one of the old embossing tools that uses plastic tape. I think the metal ones like yours would be better. I will use the plastic ones for a while and see how long they last. To double up, I will stick them onto the aluminum write-on labels, which are much harder to read but last a long time.

I use a lot of labels. I multigraft my trees. I like to know what each branch is bearing. I like to label with the cultivar, the date of the graft or date I planted the tree, and if possible, the approximate ripening time.

I thought about getting old christmas tree ornaments and paint the information on the ornaments. It might look odd, and be entertaining. But I don’t have the energy.

The metal tags might also repel birds. Might is the key word there.

Hope your right about repelling birds. I also use a ton of labels for the same reasons that you do. Love to graft and the more the better. Hate it when I forget the label. Bill

Bear,

If your embosser with the plastic wheel is in good shape it can probably handle aluminum tape. If you remind me I’ll bring you a roll when I visit or to the budding workshop and potluck in August at the Arboretum.

I don’t think it will work with the stainless steel tape though.

I bought a vintage plastic wheel one too before I bought the all metal one. Unfortunately the used one I bought didn’t even work well on plastic tape.

Murky thanks for the info. I will keep it in mind.

I have labels made with the embossed plastic from 2009 onward. The color may fade, but the embossing remains. I have yet to have one come unstuck from the aluminum strips or vinyl window blind slats I have used them on. That is through temps ranging from -25F. to 100+ degrees. I abbreviate the seller, year planted, variety, etc. Is fairly quick to do on the cheapo embosser. I also tried sticking the labels onto new metal t-posts. They didn’t stick very well, so use alcohol to clean the surface on new posts. The vinyl slats tend to not stay in the ground for some reason and bend over easily. I haven’t tried punching holes and hanging them. The aluminum strips I used were actually part of file cabinet dividers, so are no longer available, but I would assume the embossed tape would stick as well to other types of aluminum strips, which may be what I go to next.

Very helpful. I have lots of plastic embossing tape so I might as well put it to work.

Just found these aluminium tags.
http://www.amazon.com/Amekron-Impress-Aluminum-Labels-Outdoor/dp/B00U52ZIXM/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1429213241&sr=1-1&keywords=amekron+Aluminum+Plant+Label+Tree+Tags

Hope they last a long time.

Z9…

I’ve used these.
They are easy to engrave with a ball point pen and the engraving lasts. BUT, HOWEVER, EXCEPT( :cold_sweat:) the thin aluminum wires that come with them break under the force of flexing when the wind buffets the label. This spring I found 10-15 labels on the floor of the orchard. Some of the labels themselves were cut through by the attaching wire. Good thing I had the varieties mapped out .

The labels are good… just make sure you attach them with something more substantial. And… make a map.

Mike

I’ve been using the Amekron Impress O Tags for years. I’m sorry to hear about the dastardly wind at @MES111’s place – no such experience here.

I mark pots with White-Out pens. It is physical and lasts a very long time.

Mike, Richard,
Great to know that you guys have experience using these.
I’ll be using them to label grafts that have taken on my fruit trees.
Thanks for sharing your experience…

It appears the Impress-O-Tags are aluminum foil wrapped over a core. Does anyone know what the core material is?

I have used a similar tag, mine were aluminum over cardboard. I used those tags for several years. They are good for about five years. The wires can break. They also corrode. And the trees can grow over the tag, embedding the tag in the tree.

Its surprising how long the plastic embossing tape is lasting, I thought it would fall off.

That is what I was thinking. The cardboard will draw moisture if exposed on edges. Good idea but poor choice of materials. Although it probably works better in the southwest.

[quote=“scottfsmith, post:75, topic:649”]
And the trees can grow over the tag, embedding the tag in the tree.
[/quote]The tag became embedded or just the wire?

I was referring to the tag itself (nearly all the wires get embedded). It takes a long time before the whole tag has been swallowed so you can still read the tag for some time. But its not a good long-term plan. I use 6" of copper wire, I don’t think my tree will eat up any more than that in its lifetime.

I attach mine to the irrigation outlet or a stake.

Richard, for some reason I don’t think attaching labels for all my plants to the end of my garden hose would be very helpful. :wink: :smiley:

Here’s a 10 year old Impress-O-Tag. Still in good shape but do agree that the wire that comes with them is too thin.

Am now trying tags cut from vinyl siding written on with a china marker. Easier for my old eyes to see. :grinning:

1 Like