Garden Of herbs

My wife is asking for a herbs garden. Here it is. The weeds fabric is in. Now is the back breaking part. Fill it up with Scotts top soil.

Tony

Onions and chives are in.

1 Like

Tony, Dude you suck up GOOD!! That’s a really nice herb garden. If you want to delay planting basil, I just planted far more than I can use or give away. I;m in Omaha 4-5 times a week, from DSM, for my job and have meant to find out your location. Biggest problem is I never have a schedule and could be any time, day or night. Basil doesn’t like cold anyhow so in 6-8 weeks I’ll have some nice plants. Just PM me. Again, nice work! Chikn

I live in Deer Creek The Player’s Club Golf Course In Northwest Omaha. I love the green but only have time for the Orchard. The golf clubs are collecting dust.

Tony

Good job, Tony!
This is my garden. No herbs yet. I sowed spring greens and radishes today in the low tunnel.

Nice garden! Those looks like Chinese chives. We grow lots of them for dumplings, stir fry, and plus honeybees love to forage the nectar. What kind of onions?

Antmary

Nice looking garden. Very neat. Less weeds to pull.

Tony

Thanks, Tony. I often think that my garden is neater than my house :blush:.
I also like garlic chives. They are the first and the easiest to grow.

Interesting. Most herbs are basically weeds and will thrive on neglect. I like things like this that require almost zero effort. In some cases I use them as living mulches around my fruit trees.

I let chives, nasturtium, cilantro and the like just go wild in "blank’ spots of the lot. They’re not picky about soil and will gladly reseed every year. Here’s a cilantro patch of mine that runs wild and comes back every year:

1 Like

Bear

Yes, those are Asian chives. My wife use them for cooking and especially with dumplings.

I not sure of the name of that leafy green onions. I bought the seed package from Menards and the company was Burpee. I let the seeds drop and new volunteers come up all the time.

Tony

I grow most of my herbs in pots. I overwinter many as they are hybrids that do not produce seed. Well mostly basils. Or they are winter sensitive tropicals like black pepper. I also grow a number of peppers for paprika, chili powder, and cayenne type powders. So I grow a number of peppers for seasoning I want to add Mexican oregano to make authentic Tex-Mex dishes, but their are a number of them, they are big plants, and would have to be overwintered too. I may add one of them. It’s easier just to buy the specialized oregano from Mexican village in Detroit. I like to grow specific peppers to make authentic Peruvian and Jamaican dishes too.

Mexican oregano re-seeds readily here. I had to take a lot of it out, and now keep it somewhat localized in a pot, a kin to mint. Like most herbs/weeds it does well in low fertility soil.

1 Like

Well not sure if it would here? It may? I could root a cutting to overwinter, and we will see what happens. I’m waiting till next year as my plate is so full. I worked all day in the garden today, I didn’t get as far as I wanted.
I found two kinds of Mexican oregano, know more exist.
Lippia graveolens and Poliomintha longiflora [MEXICAN BUSH OREGANO].
Different genera, neither is a true oregano. True oregano is in the mint family;
Origanum Vulgare is regular oregano. Mexican organo (the former Lippia) is a verbena. About 13 varieties exist. Some may be like the bush oregano a completely different plant. I don’t know that much about them.

1 Like

Hello @tonyOmahaz5, @Antmary and anyone else with an herb garden. Over a year has passed. How did your herb garden work out? How does your herb garden look now? Do you use most of your herbs fresh or preserve them in any way for use over winter? I will post a pic of mine soon. Pics help inspire and give ideas.

1 Like

I used to grow all my herbs in pots - lge landscape pots, but you cannot forget to water pots which is most inconvient for me (hauling hoses, that is). So at the end of last summer, after losing thyme, oregano and almost losing a curry leaf plant, a friend, my daughter and I put together this bed. Herb keeping is so much easier.

In the front are 3 galangal plants, on the left behind them is a patch of ginger plants, behind which is oregano (already harvested), and comfrey (why, I don’t know). On the right corner are 2 curry leaf plants, sunk in pots as they need to be brought in), a turmeric and the large grassy thing is lemon grass (which I need to figure how to preserve). The empty spots on the right is where dill, parsley and sage were and behind the lemongrass is garlic chives (but I still have garlic scapes in the fridg so haven’t used it)

Front view

Any ideas on processing lemon grass or galangal?

4 Likes

Anne,
What do you want to do with galangal or Lemongrass? Medicinal or culinary purpose?

This is my first year growing both, and my plan was to figure out how to use them in recipes. I watched some Thai cooking Youtube videos over the winter and got inspired. IMHO ginger and garlic have stronger and reliable medicinal properties themselves but the galangal leaves (and root) smell like perfume to me. Excited to harvest and try them. Have you cooked or do you cook with them?

1 Like

I cook with them. Galangal can be stored in the fridge like ginger or frozen. Lemongrass will keep in the fridge for some time.

If you go to shesimmers.com, you will get a lot of good info about how to use those herbs. Once you are there, check the Thai pantry. It has write up of many Thai ingredients. The web owner also posts many genuinely Thai recipes with a back story. The classic recipe that uses both galangal and lemongrass is Tom Yum soup (Tom Yam on shesimmers). It’s the Thai version of hot and sour soup.

I don’t love cooking :blush: . I grew up with a sister who is a wonderful cook. I know good Thai food when I eat it.

In the US, I cook because I want to eat real Thai food, not the Americanized dishes they offer here in many Thai restaurants.

My husband and I love the shesimmers website because the woman really knows her stuff. To me, you can get some of the best info about Thai food from her site. I don’t know her but I appreciate her ability to give readers really good, accurate info about Thai food.

2 Likes

Here’s my Herb Garden: Aerogarden 3sl.

2 Likes

Lemon grass is great for teas.

1 Like