Garlic cloves growing on plant

Some of my garlic, both hardneck and softneck, seems to be doing this thing where the individual developing cloves are themselves sprouting, and I’ve got clumps of foliage coming up through the center of the plant. I’ll try to get a better picture, but this one had a couple doing that.

Why is it doing this? I’ve never had this happen before.

The third day…

Genesis 11-12 - Starts with - Then God said… and … ends with “and it was good”.
And there was evening and there was morning, a third day.

I think the main part is that … God said… and yes it is going to happen, life, reproducing after its own kind, no matter what it has to do… it is following instruction.

JMO

TNHunter

2 Likes

This happens to me every year on a few garlic. It seems to happen more when they are in a wetter spot. Still edible, but they don’t keep well and the bulbs aren’t well formed due to it dividing. I once knew what the name of this was… something with a “tail” in it I think.

All my garlic does this. These are called ‘garlic scapes’, a stalk topped by a seed head. These are sought after by cooks for their asparagus-like shape and garlic taste. Cut before seed head opens. This diverts more energy into bulb. Use in a stir-fry. Yum.

These aren’t scapes. These are the individual cloves themselves sprouting.

I thought the pic looked like this. These are my garlic scapes.

IMG_0554

Not good if this happens with your onions. It will emerge through the center of the onion and by the time the onion is ready, this stem has become a hard inedible core. Will dramatically decrease the storage life of onions. If you see this happening to your onions, pull them when young to use as spring onions.

Yeah, I suppose that pic does look like a scape. I’ll have to see if I have a better one, but you can see that thing shooting out the side, that looks like it’s coming out of the leaf sheath and not dead center.