Garlic Scape Pesto recipe

I’m sure that I adapted this from a recipe I found online but I don’t recall…

2 cups of garlic scapes and basil, roughly chopped (I do more garlic scapes than basil)
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
zest of 1 lemon
juice of half lemon
S&P
1/2 cup olive oil
Parmesan

Add first five ingredients to the food processor, pulse until combined. Pour in olive oil and combine. At this stage you can freeze half for later if you want. Whatever you are using now, add parmesan to taste (we use about 1/2 cup for half batch)

My favorite way to use this is pesto pasta, make sure to reserve some of the starchy water to add in to make a saucy consistency. Yum!

8 Likes

We sold out of garlic scapes at farmers market last week. We will be bringing even more tomorrow. Many customers say they are buying them to make pesto.

1 Like

It’s nice “bonus harvest”! We grew a lot more garlic this year so I’ll be experimenting with other recipes too. We’ll try grilling some, also heard they store well when cut up into smaller pieces and frozen for use later.

I planted softneck :frowning_face: now it won’t make scapes or seeds, I’ll have to buy hard neck to plant this fall I’m really upset. I look forward to scapes and was hoping I’d get some but I got confused last year ordering. damn

I wanted it to go perennial too. uuugh

Aw darn! But on the plus side, softneck lasts longer in storage. I know some gardeners like to grow both for that reason.

1 Like

yep I am going to have enough to last all winter which is good! I ordered hard neck for next season this time.

1 Like