Garlic turning yellow?

Edges of my garlic leaves are yellowing. Why?

Was it touched by frost? If so, nothing to worry about, it will recover

1 Like

No. Hasn’t been below freezing since 4/3, and no hard freeze since mid March.

They aren’t drowning, are they? If they’ve been standing in saturated soil for some time they’ll quit picking up nutrients, and that can cause yellowing.

2 Likes

We got half an inch of rain yesterday, but that’s the first decent rain we’ve had since March 21.

On March 21 they were greener.

An inch is a lot but one day wouldn’t do it. I don’t know what to think.

Sun will do that also it burns the tips like that in the summer in Kansas but i dont normally see that until its 90 degrees so in the spring there is a limited number of problems. Do you all have garlic nematodes? Onion maggot larvae? Fungal diseases? Have you grown garlic there before? Watering problems , defiency in nitrogen etc could cause it as well. One thing i can tell you for sure you better dig one up and find out what is going on under that dirt! Voles etc dont like garlic so its not them.

1 Like

It looks to me that the plants suffering lack of oxygen and having minor root rod issue

2 Likes

It’s been dry, though. Unless it’s latent effects from a wet winter.

1 Like

Onions doing fine 15 feet away. First time doing garlic on that spot.

1 Like

I bet its just uneven watering.

Maybe. They were wet, wet, wet, wet, then boom. It quit raining on March 21 until yesterday. My foot is broken, so I can’t really drag the sprinkler around. So they didn’t really get any water until yesterday.

1 Like

i had that problem with mine. i over amended the soil they were in. they started off green then yellowed and stunted as they got bigger. still got a good crop but bulb size was small. had a cucumber growing in the same bed and it grew phenomenal but also shown some burnt leaves. was watered well and often.

1 Like

Is there anything I could do about it when the yellowing happens as the temperatures go up? Shading maybe?