Gel vs. Powdered Rooting Hormone

I didn’t find much in searching for similar threads so…

Anyone have a strong preference for rooting hormone? Gel versus powdered?

It’s hard to find a non-sponsored review nowadays.

Clonex gel?

Also I’ve seen mixed ideas on wetting the wood before applying dry rooting hormone to help it stick…then others say apply it dry.

1 Like

Both gel and powdered rooting hormones serve the same purpose: to promote root development in plant cuttings. The choice between the two often depends on personal preference, ease of use, and the specific needs of the plant being propagated. Here are some considerations for each type:

Gel rooting hormone:

Ease of application. Gel formulations are often easier to apply directly to the cut end of a plant cutting because they stick to the surface.
Less messy. Gel tends to be less messy than powdered hormone formulations, making it easier to handle.
Moisture retention. Gel formulations may help retain moisture around the cutting, which can be beneficial for root development.

Powdered rooting hormone:

Versatility. Powdered formulations may be more versatile in terms of application methods. They can be dusted onto the cutting or mixed into a rooting medium.
Longer shelf life. Powdered rooting hormones typically have a longer shelf life compared to gel formulations, which may dry out over time.
Cost. In some cases, powdered rooting hormones may be more cost-effective than gel formulations.

4 Likes

Thanks so much.

I couldn’t have expected a more thorough answer.

:+1::grin:

Clonex and Dip N Grow are the ones I’ve heard work the best. To this point I’ve used the cheap powder from the big box store.

2 Likes

Tbh I just picked part of it off google.

1 Like