Geneva 890 RootStock

Yes…based on my first grafts being done about 2018 or 2019 to G890-it appears like it could be planted 3 to 6 feet apart and there’d be no problem of the limbs tangling up.
But, it’s still too early to be sure.

(969 I haven’t tried)

1 Like

Mine also seem to grow more upright than others

1 Like

I have G890, G969 and G41. The 969 and 41 i have on trellis planted 40" apart, and the 890s are free standing. Branch bending is a must on all 3, as they all seem to grow vertical. 890 does seem to be more vigorous than 969, so i have more upright growth.

2 Likes

I hoped G890 would be rather vigorous when grafting Kandil Sinap, but KS hardly needs help in growing with upright habit! Had I known…at least it won’t work counter to the typical shape of Kandil Sinap.

I have a G890 grafted in 2019 that is in a 3 or 5 gallon pot, has a red fleshed apple that my original tree on M111 is about 15 feet x 6 feet. But the G890 is simply a trunk 5 feet tall in 6 seasons and fruiting spurs from the graft to the tip.
I expect it to be first to bloom, and in order for it to cross pollinate the varieties I desire it to pollinate, I’ll probably collect pollen. (There is a Geneva Crab that may bloom close enough to pollinate all but it’s king blooms.)

This G890 tree resembles those pole trees you see in pots on patios having no side limbs.

(I do have a couple antique golden apples also on G890 that have a small number of branches.) (I’ve spent no effort to ‘notch’ buds and such to encourage it to do anything but
it’s natural proclivities.)

1 Like