Geneva Red persimmon

There are a few threads where “Geneva Red” was mentioned by @Mikatani as being one of the earliest and sweetest persimmons for a cool/cold climate like the PNW and many parts of Europe.

My climate appears extremely similar to @Mikatani, and his observations seem uncannily similar to mine – only he has tons more years of experience.
Most American persimmons haven’t been impressive for me with the exception of H-118. Others like H63a are very good early in the season but later they don’t lose astringency even after a long bletting period. Other highly rated ones like Morris Burton are neither very sweet nor lose astringency completely.

One of the good ones for a cool summer climate appears to be Geneva Red. But there appear to be multiple strains of this one. The one that @Mikatani grows seems earlier than others with the same name.

Can folks post photos of your Geneva Red persimmons? And your observations as to its ripening time and taste?

5 Likes

If this is a solo tree on D.v. rootstock, how long has it been in-ground and what size is the tree so far?

1 Like

I don’t have Geneva Red. Only considering adding it.

3 Likes

@ramv

You might check out that thread. @barkslip said it was awful in that location and that year.

3 Likes

Hi @snowflake.
This is why I thought there were 2 different Geneva Red strains.
One that is very early and another that is late.

3 Likes

Hmmm. I wouldn’t think there would be more than one as I think the Geneva varieties all came from the same person (Professor Slate) if I’m not mistaken, but anything is possible!

John Gordon in Ontario said:

Geneva Red is high flavor late-ripe persimmon

But, that’s late for Ontario where they were pushing things.

I think the Geneva persimmon are offspring of Morris Burton.

2 Likes

Here is a link to @Mikatani post

Also Cliff England told me it is one of the earliest.

2 Likes

Is this the same as Geneva Long?

1 Like

No. Geneva Long is an elongate, ‘acorn’- shaped persimmon with yellow-orange flesh. It and NC-10 look a lot alike; I lost my Geneva Long to borers, some years back, but as best I recall, it was a larger fruit than NC-10.

I had Geneva Red some years ago… well, actually, I may still have it, but just don’t know which tree it is… but I don’t know that I’ve particularly noticed its fruit… but if it’s really early, I might have missed it fruiting altogether, as I’m not often in that part of the orchard in Aug/Sept.

4 Likes