Geothermal greenhouse in Alliance Nebraska. So cool. I may put in a smaller one

1. List item

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://faircompanies.com/videos/nebraska-retiree-uses-earthss-heat-to-grow-oranges-in-snow/%23:~:text%3DWinter%2520temperatures%2520in%2520Alliance%252C%2520Nebraska,%252C%2520pomegranates%2520%25E2%2580%2593%2520in%2520the%2520snow.&ved=2ahUKEwjA1Kjmgq76AhVEIX0KHV1tDxoQFnoECAoQBQ&usg=AOvVaw1SshjEMLQD-Nl03wxLdM1Z

Growing tropical fruits while it is -20F outside. That would be so cool. @fruitnut

Tony

3 Likes

I agree! I have watched several videos about that guy and his greenhouse. It’s inspiring.

2 Likes

You’re in the right climate for that to work. I’d still be a little nervous on those coldest nights. I may not have seen the latest designs. I do remember on the last video I saw that he said this one is all wrong.

I suspect you’ll think the useable space is rather small. And you are locked into whatever the design will do in regards to temperature and humidity.

I’d be thinking stone fruit and figs not oranges and mango. The former are more suited to the season length and temperatures that I’d expect. But certain citrus is very forgiving in regards to season length and heat units.

1 Like

Crazy yields he gets as well! This is a really old thread but there is some cool videos on there Geothermal orange grove! Heavy yields!

A different video on this topic was referenced here. I hadn’t thought about it as an option before but it got me thinking about doing something similar. We’ll see.

*edit - the video in the thread I referenced is the same one that Tony posted initially. Still, bump for this thread because it’s incredible.

I’m hoping to break ground on my greenhouse this summer. Going to dig it in as deep as my little L3902 can go (should have the backhoe by spring). Planning for 80’x20’, but my wife thinks that’s too small. I think it will take me like 2 years to build. Was planning on making a timber frame structure, but not sure how much forest I’m willing to part with to cut the timbers.

2 Likes

If I were building another GH myself, I’d strongly consider used oilfield well pipe for the frame. My climate is way different than yours so design might well be different. But mine would face south and be half buried.

2 Likes

Not a lot of oil field pipe laying around in the north woods, but that would be better. Could do a welded structure frame with pipes stuck in concrete.

2 Likes