Germinating Myrobalan, Mahaleb pits?

Does anyone have experience germinating myrobalan or mahaleb pits? What I have found on line calls for warm, damp media stratification for 30 days followed by the cold stratification. I have concerns about the pits molding during the 30 day warm stratification. Thoughts? Comments?
Thank you

I have some Myrobalan seeds needing to be germinated this spring. Thought the warm stratification was only needed for a day or two in warm water. Then the cold. Hopefully someone with experience that knows for sure can provide the answer for us.

I did find another source that states that myrobalan doesnt need much if any warm stratification but that Mahaleb needs 30 days of moist, warm stratification. Guess I will experiment a bit. Kind of what this little project is any ways. I will report my results if I remember when I am finished.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t worry too much about molding in the warm stratification. I did quite a bit of peony breeding and those seeds needed warm stratification for 3 months. If you use straight peat or a soilless mix you should be fine, just keep checking and if mould shows up wash the seeds and keep going.

1 Like