Germinating Texas persimmon (Diospyros texana)

Did you try the mexican plums?

At least you will have good seeds for the persimmons!

1 Like

One of them, but it tasted very sour and maybe wasnā€™t quite ripe so Iā€™m leaving the others on the counter a little longer. Do they usually sweeten up ok?

I ate a third one (the only other one thatā€™s soft), and decided to try to cut it carefully to show the fruit profile. Hereā€™s a before and after that attempt:

And hereā€™s a close-up of the flesh around the seeds:

There were a few spots that looked like they had seeds but actually had nicer chunks of flesh, but it did have 5 seeds in this small fruit. Hereā€™s what I didnā€™t eat (the skin is very tough):

Iā€™m tempted to taste some of the more firm ones since this has not even a hint of astringency. Itā€™s a pleasant, slightly bland but creamy, mildly sweet taste. Very messy, though.

Since Iā€™ve now got an overabundance of fresh seed, Iā€™ll try germinating some immediately, and cold stratify the rest. I had already ordered a seed packet from an Etsy seller in McAllen, TX, and they look like they are in good shape, but dried out.

If my germination rate is anything better than abysmal Iā€™ll probably have some extra seedlings next spring if anyone else wants them.

3 Likes

I just found this paper titled Germination of Texas Persimmon Seed

In case this is useful, some of the relevant results are:

Germination was >93% at constant temperatures of 20-30ā€ C, but decreased abruptly or ceased outside this range.

The percentage of seeds that germinated in light did not differ from those germinated in darkness.

Seed germination ranged from 93 to 97% at pH values from 4 to 11.

Apparently, germination is dependent on high adequate water availability, indicating that seedling establishment is probably confined to periods of high soil moisture.

Germination after storage for 1,6, 12,15,18,21, and 24 months showed no changes in viability. Germination was >91% throughout the 2-year period. Apparently no dormancy or after-ripening requirements exist for this species.

4 Likes

Thank you! Thatā€™s very helpful, and good to know thereā€™s no benefit in cold stratification, and that they last so long in storage. Iā€™ll set aside a bunch of dried seeds for next year in case the first batch doesnā€™t do well in the greenhouse this winter.

And welcome to the forum @fmoor!

1 Like

I donā€™t know that the temperature recommendation means to skip the stratification. To me thatā€™s not clear.

They explicitly state in the paper that the seeds were collected fresh (other than the ones collected from coyote scat) and were stored in a dry state at ā€œroom conditionsā€ of 20-27Ā° and 50-70% relative humidity. Seed stored under those conditions had a pretty consistent 90+% germination rate at as little as 1 month and as long as 2 years. They also explicitly state this in the paper as one of their conclusions:

Apparently no dormancy or after-ripening requirements exist for this species.

Cold stratification is an ā€œafter-ripening requirementā€ for many species, but apparently not this one.

1 Like

That clears things up. Thanks

Itā€™s interesting that they suggested such a high moisture level in the soil. when the wild ones are ripening and dropping fruit the native soil is much drier than that.

2 Likes

Presumably they sit in the dry soil for months or years until the next big rainfall, and thatā€™s their germination trigger. In terms of the storage humidity, I donā€™t think they tried different levels and that was just the humidity range in their offices or wherever they stored them. Iā€™m guessing they will store equally well at lower humidity levels, though since they didnā€™t test that Iā€™m just going to keep them in a drawer in my house, which is usually in that range.

So far zero germination from the seeds removed from fresh fruit and planted immediately. But the other seeds I had purchased from someone in McAllen, TX (which had been dried and stored for a few weeks, but not cold-stratified) are almost all beginning to germinate:

So there may be a benefit in at least drying the seeds before planting them, which wasnā€™t something tested in that study (all had been dried).

I dont think that persimmon seeds need any special treatment to germinateā€¦ just treat them like nature does and they will do just fine.

I took seeds from american persimmons that i ate last fallā€¦ and planted 3 seeds in a planter filled with a mix of garden soil and compostā€¦ and set that planter in the edge of my woods.

I did mulch it good with some fine pine bark mulchā€¦ and just let them be all fall winter springā€¦ and all 3 sprouted up this spring.

Yep 42+ inches of growth in one season.

I hope to graft Kasandra to that largest one come spring.

3 Likes

What youā€™re describing is cold stratification. Will American persimmon seeds also germinate immediately if you try, or do they need the winter outside (or artificial cold stratification in a fridge) first?

This was my first attempt at starting persimmon seedsā€¦ and I really did not even think about doing anything special.

Just planted them in the fall and they all came up in the spring. Just like it normally happens in nature.

I did not water themā€¦ they got rain and snow.

I did plant them about 1.5 inch deep in a compost layer and then covered with a couple inches of mulch. That is probably a lot better than most successfully sprouted wild tree seeds were planted.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I did with the Texas persimmon seeds I got last fall, but I had 0% germinate. The previous fall (first attempt) were the seeds that produced the seedling in my earlier posts that is definitely not texana, so my success after cold stratification isnā€™t indicative.

In that study linked above, Texas persimmon had very low germination in even slightly cooler soil. Thatā€™s probably why its native range doesnā€™t extend much further than Texas.

I agree. My 1 y/o seedlings barely make 3".

1 Like

Dont think our TN persimmons are that picky.

Coons and possums eat them and deposit seeds all over my fields and many of those evidently germinate and thriveā€¦ my fields are full persimmon seedlings.

Plan to graft to some of those next spring.

1 Like

The ā€œTexas persimmonā€ (D. texana) is a very different species with a limited natural range compared to the American persimmon (D. virginiana). My guess is the different germination requirements of the two species are a big part of why their ranges donā€™t meaningfully overlap. D. texana needs dry soil to store the seed and then consistently warm soil after rainfall to germinate, while virginiana prefers cold stratification (a winter in the soil) and regular rain during the growing season. Here are their respective range maps:

persimmap

We are in the zone between the native ranges for both varieties and both have grown well (although slowly) for us. We also have some Asian persimmons. D

1 Like

That is about right from my experience. They are slow growers. D