Get Ready for Cosmic Crisp Apples

So far i only have four. Also this was all purchased organic apples at my local grocery store my best apple i grew this year was rubinette but i did not get more than 20 apples this year.

When i was in the PNW this year i got organic cox orange pippins this year that should have been third on that list for $1.50 lb

1 Like

I hope i will have those this year, at least rubinette, rubinette rosso and pinova because they are big trees.

1 Like

My local grocery store has cosmic crispy on sale. I bought a few. I like its texture, no too crispy, not to dense. It tasted sweet but with right amount of acidic. A beautiful apple with right size. No much aroma though. However, I somehow tasted a little hint of bitterness after each bite. Very strange, it probably is my issue.

6 Likes

Cosmic Crisp Apple Juice.That’s the first I’ve seen.

1 Like

Yes,it is my first time to see cosmic apple juice. I much prefer eating apples than drink apple juice so I didn’t buy it.

I tried Cosmic Crisp for the first time late last year, I thought it was delicious and finally a grocery store apple I wouldn’t mind buying (i have a strong sweet tooth, so I like sweet apples for fresh eating). I was at the grocery store across the street (from the first store) a little later on, they had them as well so I figured I would pick some up (they were good the first time I bought them), though the apples were smaller than the first batch. This time around, they were lousy. I tried again form the first grocery store and they were decent, but not the great apple that I got from my first purchase.
In a few years, my orchard should be in full production and I won’t have to buy apples from the grocery store again.

I saw the juice when they came out, and it was $16 a jug.

1 Like

How much a gallon jug of the Cosmic Crisp apple juice?

It would appear they aren’t the hit the Washington growers were hoping.
A decent apple–certainly.
But so outstanding it deserves a premium price? I think market reality is setting in that demand isn’t what the expectations were for high priced apples that look like the others nearby at a lower price.

2 Likes

I just tried Cosmic Crisp for the first time. It took me a while to get around to it since most of the other supermarket apples I have tried didn’t live up to the hype. I have to admit I am now hooked. Perhaps it was a particularly good batch. I like them so much I have been skipping dinner lately and having a Cosmic Crisp instead.

3 Likes

:astonished:

I think expectations were more like this: it has the same harvest window as red delicious so they can finally rip all those out and replace them, it lasts 12 months in CA storage so it can be sold all year, and it’s easier to grow than its most direct basic apple competitor honeycrisp, and fairly productive. they knew from the start they’d be planting on the order of 15 million trees, it was always going to be a volume play

2 Likes

Next time I go to grocery store I will take a look and post a picture with price

1 Like

I was shocked by the price, but it was right after the apples hit the market. They were still charging $4-5/lb for Cosmic Crisp.

For $5 a pound I’d expect gold fillings in their teeth! :slight_smile:

(Unless you live where all food is higher than it is around here).

I will never buy apple for $4~5/lb.

2 Likes

And look at the ingredients of the apple juice. I saw some and it looked like it had some nasty preservatives in there. I bought a different (non cosmic crisp) apple juice with no preservatives instead.

2 Likes

Don’t be too sure…$28 trillion red ink combined with wage increases…even Red Delicious may cost $5 each some day.
But, hopefully it’s a few years off…
I earned $1.65 per hour minimum wage in the early 1970’s…And I suspect that $1.65 would have bought 3 pounds of apples plus a half gallon of ice cream back then!

(I remember being shocked when I had to pay over $1 per gallon for gas starting in 1981!)

5 Likes

It seems that the Cosmic Crisp Apple (aka WA 38) Management Company and the University who helped create it are more active in defending their patent than a lot of others are. I’ve seen a few cases where they have gone after nurseries for illegal propagation. Here is a good article about a case they filed this summer:

Another Cosmic lawsuit filed | Good Fruit Grower.

2 Likes

Three pounds of apples and a half gallon of ice cream are $10-11 now. At least they are where I live.