Get Ready for Cosmic Crisp Apples

Last year EverCrisp was my preference of the three. But, haven’t seen it this year. (Maybe because I’ve avoided Walmart worse than the plague this year.)

All 3 are restricted apples most of us can’t legally have. All 3 have Honeycrisp as a parent.
(EverCrisp is HoneyCrisp x Fuji, Cosmic Crisp is HoneyCrisp x Enterprise and Crimson Crisp…oops I got that one wrong…it is Co-Op#39 from the PRI breeding program and has about 3/16ths of its heritage as yellow delicious and no red delicious and no HoneyCrisp in it.)

*Notice the correction, Crimson Crisp has no HoneyCrisp in it’s genes.

1 Like

So I tracked down the elusive cosmic crisp tonight at the grocery store after all of the hype building going through this thread. I’d describe it as a mild but satisfying amount of sweetness with plenty of crunchy texture as the name implies. Definitely an upgrade from the standard and disappointing red delicious I hope it will replace on the display cases.

1 Like

While in town yesterday, we stopped at Kroger. While I was in the produce section, I saw that they had some CC for sale at $1.19/lb. So, I had to pick up a few since I’ve never tried one. I also got some Autumn Glory, which I had never heard of.

We tried a CC when we got home, and it was sweet, crisp and juicy, but not much else. I wasn’t too impressed, but my wife thought they were pretty good. She said they reminded her of a Suncrisp, with its tropical undertones. I didn’t catch that at all, it tasted more like a Cortland to me. Not a bad apple, but not up to the hype.

I’ll try an Autumn Glory later and report on it.

I actually went on a binge and got a bunch of cultivars to compare. I skipped autumn glory as my wife wasn’t a fan the last time she tried it.

7 Likes

We just tried an AG, it was utterly forgettable. Turned brown when I cut it, mildly sweet, not much else. Couldn’t even finish it, but my dog did. But, he’ll eat just about anything.

4 Likes

My apple opinion should not matter much. I liked Cosmic Crisp though. I haven’t eaten many cultivars.

I passed up Cosmic Crisp to buy SweeTango yesterday and it for me doesn’t have the crunch and firmness and fizzy juice I like in apples. Cosmic Crisp would’ve been the better buy. My choices were: Fuji, Pink Lady, Granny Smith, Gala, Honeycrisp, for certain. They had 1 or 2 others at Aldi. I forget though.

2 Likes

As an opinion comparison based on taste/texture, out of these choices my wife and I agree Kanzi was the best. Not as crisp as cosmic/honeycrisp but sweet and a balanced flavor profile. Not as flavorful as McIntosh but McIntosh doesn’t have the crunch.
Cosmic crisp beat honeycrisp on sweetness and flavor. Kiku was very sweet and not at all tart. Ambrosia was sweet and more tart than kiku, a nice balance. Envy was like a sweet, better version of red delicious. Pink Lady was the most tart of the bunch, with a mild sweetness. Overall I’d say kanzi>McIntosh >Cosmic >ambrosia>envy>kiku>pink lady>honeycrisp for my preference.

2 Likes

Ambrosia’s I have are soft, mealy, and sweet. I don’t care for any of those three traits yet alone all at the same time. This was a real wake up call for me. I would’t eat one again unless someone told me they should have been crispy.

Are you describing a store bought Pink Lady? Ideal Pink Lady should be grown in a warm winter climate where it can hang on the tree until the New Year. Not many fruits can beat the flavor of such an apple.

Yes, all of them were store bought. Obviously there is a skew to my results based on that, but I have a few years until I will have any home grown.

This whole bag has been pretty crispy and not mealy at all… Maybe picking them early is the way to go?

1 Like

That’s alright as I’m not going to be growing Ambrosia anyways! Just added my two cents.

2 Likes

I got some rock-it apples as they were small lunchbox style and while i was expecting a nice crab flavour what i instead got was a very plain sweet small apple that kids would probably love. It reminded me of ambrosia which ranks pretty low for me for a complete lack of tartness.

For me this year its been
Cosmic crisp > Newtown Pippins > Calville blancs > Opal > Jazz > Spartan > Honeycrisp > kanze

I have been pretty dissapointed with the pink ladies and granny smiths so far this year

2 Likes

And i still don’t have none of them… :disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

So far i only have four. Also this was all purchased organic apples at my local grocery store my best apple i grew this year was rubinette but i did not get more than 20 apples this year.

When i was in the PNW this year i got organic cox orange pippins this year that should have been third on that list for $1.50 lb

1 Like

I hope i will have those this year, at least rubinette, rubinette rosso and pinova because they are big trees.

1 Like

My local grocery store has cosmic crispy on sale. I bought a few. I like its texture, no too crispy, not to dense. It tasted sweet but with right amount of acidic. A beautiful apple with right size. No much aroma though. However, I somehow tasted a little hint of bitterness after each bite. Very strange, it probably is my issue.

6 Likes

Cosmic Crisp Apple Juice.That’s the first I’ve seen.

1 Like

Yes,it is my first time to see cosmic apple juice. I much prefer eating apples than drink apple juice so I didn’t buy it.

I tried Cosmic Crisp for the first time late last year, I thought it was delicious and finally a grocery store apple I wouldn’t mind buying (i have a strong sweet tooth, so I like sweet apples for fresh eating). I was at the grocery store across the street (from the first store) a little later on, they had them as well so I figured I would pick some up (they were good the first time I bought them), though the apples were smaller than the first batch. This time around, they were lousy. I tried again form the first grocery store and they were decent, but not the great apple that I got from my first purchase.
In a few years, my orchard should be in full production and I won’t have to buy apples from the grocery store again.