Get Ready for Cosmic Crisp Apples

I saw the juice when they came out, and it was $16 a jug.

1 Like

How much a gallon jug of the Cosmic Crisp apple juice?

It would appear they arenā€™t the hit the Washington growers were hoping.
A decent appleā€“certainly.
But so outstanding it deserves a premium price? I think market reality is setting in that demand isnā€™t what the expectations were for high priced apples that look like the others nearby at a lower price.

2 Likes

I just tried Cosmic Crisp for the first time. It took me a while to get around to it since most of the other supermarket apples I have tried didnā€™t live up to the hype. I have to admit I am now hooked. Perhaps it was a particularly good batch. I like them so much I have been skipping dinner lately and having a Cosmic Crisp instead.

3 Likes

:astonished:

I think expectations were more like this: it has the same harvest window as red delicious so they can finally rip all those out and replace them, it lasts 12 months in CA storage so it can be sold all year, and itā€™s easier to grow than its most direct basic apple competitor honeycrisp, and fairly productive. they knew from the start theyā€™d be planting on the order of 15 million trees, it was always going to be a volume play

2 Likes

Next time I go to grocery store I will take a look and post a picture with price

1 Like

I was shocked by the price, but it was right after the apples hit the market. They were still charging $4-5/lb for Cosmic Crisp.

For $5 a pound Iā€™d expect gold fillings in their teeth! :slight_smile:

(Unless you live where all food is higher than it is around here).

I will never buy apple for $4~5/lb.

2 Likes

And look at the ingredients of the apple juice. I saw some and it looked like it had some nasty preservatives in there. I bought a different (non cosmic crisp) apple juice with no preservatives instead.

2 Likes

Donā€™t be too sureā€¦$28 trillion red ink combined with wage increasesā€¦even Red Delicious may cost $5 each some day.
But, hopefully itā€™s a few years offā€¦
I earned $1.65 per hour minimum wage in the early 1970ā€™sā€¦And I suspect that $1.65 would have bought 3 pounds of apples plus a half gallon of ice cream back then!

(I remember being shocked when I had to pay over $1 per gallon for gas starting in 1981!)

5 Likes

It seems that the Cosmic Crisp Apple (aka WA 38) Management Company and the University who helped create it are more active in defending their patent than a lot of others are. Iā€™ve seen a few cases where they have gone after nurseries for illegal propagation. Here is a good article about a case they filed this summer:

Another Cosmic lawsuit filed | Good Fruit Grower.

2 Likes

Three pounds of apples and a half gallon of ice cream are $10-11 now. At least they are where I live.

Right, and isnā€™t that about what minimum wage is there now? Or are you getting a bargain since you donā€™t have to work a whole hour at minimum wage to get the two items in question?
So, I appreciate that you validated the pointā€¦$5 apples are just a matter of time!

2 Likes

Cosmic Crisp are priced comparably to other still-crisp varieties at my local store now, like honeycrisp, which is more than the more mealy varieties that were only really good for a brief window in the fall.

The degree they keep well is pretty impressive, and they do have a nice flavor to go with the crispness. But I wouldnā€™t pay a huge surplus for them over any other good keeping apple next to it in the store.

2 Likes

The keeping is why I bought one. I think it is a good apple, but not a premium one. I would pay standard price for it.

2 Likes

I have to sayā€¦I have become a Fuji fan. :open_mouth: Iā€™ve really liked the ones that I get from Samā€™s Club. Iā€™ve been buying Honeycrisp as well but they are pretty horrible right now. We grow excellent Honeycrisp here so I am spoiled. Not sure that the West Coast is the best place to grow HCā€¦I think that they prefer the colder temps in the Northeast.

Regarding Cosmic Crispā€¦have not had them yet. Iā€™m sort of over the Apple du jourā€¦not sure that anything can make a splash that HC did a decade ago.

1 Like

Are most of these grown in eastern washington or is this a yakima apple? What about its disease resistance?

At times I will buy one (1) single apple of a new variety just to try it out. There is no way I will buy a few lbs of them at the prices they have on some of these new " club apples". So far I have not been impressed with them enough to buy more than just a single apple.

3 Likes