Get Ready for Cosmic Crisp Apples

I live in washington and bought 3 cosmic crisps this past spring from burnt ridge. I wasn’t being a hog… one for me…one for my niece and one for my daughter (both live in WA also).

Anyway… they didn’t ask me to sign anything. Since I was picking the trees up rather than having them shipped, I was asked if I live in Washington and they could verify that as I have bought quite a few things there over the years. I don’t think they really want to get into policing the agreement of the breeders. I think the breeders are just trying to give washington apple growers a head start on this tree as it was developed at Washington university… and receive a good deal of public funding for research etc.
I don’t think anyone is hunting down someone who buys one tree here and plants it out of state.

1 Like

Last year about this time, my son bought 4 cosmic crips apples at a local store $4.99/lb !!
We shared one (delicious, crisp)… gave one to daughter. I put one in the refrig and the other in the garage (cold but freeze protected).
He and I shared the one in the refrig last March. Skin was slight dry feeling but inside was just about identical to the one we had 4 months previously.
He and I shared the last one that had been kept in the garage in JUNE! Skin slightly dry/dehydrated. Inside almost as crisp and juicy as the 1st one we ate about 7 months before. Flavor was unchanged.
It is a winner as for as I am concerned!!

4 Likes

Okay so last year i really liked these but they had this awful flavour around the skin. The better i washed them the less it tasted and after some pesticide reduction washing they were better but it still lingered enough i worried it was part of the skins taste.

Got my hands on some organic ones this year and WOW! Best tasting apple i have had this year for sure with no strange aftertaste on the skin. Hoping this apple is resistant to fireblight but washington state deserves a round of applause.

7 Likes
2 Likes

WSU fire blight trial results show CC has decent/moderate resistance to fire blight:http://treefruit.wsu.edu/fire-blight-susceptibility-of-apple-cultivars/

Worth a trial if and when it comes out of lockdown.

2 Likes

I bought two bags of these at an Aldi’s grocery last week. They’re excellent.

3 Likes

I’ve not found CC at any local store. I wonder if they are all being shipped out of state.

2 Likes

They have had them a couple weeks now in N Tacoma.

2 Likes

Fred Meyer in Redmond has them.Possibly Bellevue too.

2 Likes

Funny you should bring that up about the strange taste.

I bought two batches of Cosmic Crisp both in the fridge. They look identical, these are the large, dark ones. One batch tastes great, and I understand a little of the hype. The other batch tastes terrible. The skin is bitter, and it has vegetal flavor, like celery or something. I was hoping storage would improve them, but after a couple of weeks, they were still awful. After tasting, I threw out the slices.

2 Likes

Kroger (QFC, Fred Meyer) has them, so does Winco, in SW Washington.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m putting my money on some new pesticide or fungicide. It was very off putting and it was the only non local / organic apple I ate last year so I attributed it to that.

I had to buy a bunch more and gave them out to people as early Presents

2 Likes

I bought one Cosmic Crisp at Kroger from a big display. Just one…but I got a good one (as last year I wasn’t at all impressed).

Red, crisp, juicy, sweet…skin a little tough…flavor of a Starkrimson almost but not quite…more complex than a delicious.
This one favorably compared to Crimson Crisp and EverCrisp. The samples I bought last year did not.

2 Likes

Yeah, they seem all over the place in flavor. Hopefully that stabilizes, and in a good way - unlike Honeycrisp.

I suppose I have my own tree to fall back on. Hopefully it eventually does as well as Vincent’s.

2 Likes

Have not ran into Cosmic Crisp yet, but these two apples are among my favorites! Good to know.

1 Like

Thanks! I haven’t seen them locally yet, but I haven’t been looking too hard either. Maybe this weekend I’ll see one and pick it up.

*I suspect what made this one refreshingly nice was that it was picked tree ripened and hadn’t been in storage long.
It probably has nothing on Red Delicious or Fuji after 9 months. (And I love both of those ripe from the tree on a cool day.)

1 Like

So i ate my first Cosmic Crisp today and i had a few thoughts.
1- Extremely sweet. Almost too sweet. By the end of the apple, i was done with it. Like eating spoonfuls of sugar.
2- Very large. 2 applea per pound is a big apple.
3- Crisp. A really nice snap when bitten into.

Overall it was a very good apple. I understand why there is a lot of hype behind this apple. Not the best apple ive ever had, but thats personal preference.

3 Likes

Cosmic crisp is very diferent from Crimson Crisp? Thank’s!

Yes. Crimson crisp is similar. It’s also large, sweet, and crunchy. But it’s much tarter, and, imo, has more flavor.

I’m a big fan of crimson crisp. Cosmic crisp is fine, but i won’t go out of my way to buy them.

3 Likes