Getting watering right

I never seem to be able to get watering right. The problem is, I live in a climate that often times gets enough rainfall, but not always.

I’ll get no rain for ten days…storms keep missing my house. Then without fail, I’ll water everything, THEN i get a 2” deluge! So it ends up that my plants either get way too much water, or not enough.

get a rain gauge and log it on your calendar daily. watch the weather reports daily. i use noaa that posts the daily rain amounts for each weather station. luckily we have one in our town so its very accurate. i used to have the same problem. better to give a little less than too much. :wink:

1 Like

I try that…but the issue is right when I give up and assume it’s not happening, THEN it rains!

i know . I’m guilty as well. i had to force myself to either lightly water or skip it altogether. another thing i did is mulch with wood chips around everything. i almost never water unless its a new tree establishing itself. i even mulch around my veggies. they grow so much better, improves the soil and it also keeps the weeds out. i put down more every spring as it breaks down during the summer and fall. i just till it in in the veggie garden in the fall. by spring it has all broken down in the soil which also helps the soil retain more moisture. wood chips saved my garden from me. ;).

2 Likes