Giant Chestnuts

I found some 7 gal. chinese for $70. They are about 6 foot multi trunks. Many trunks each shooting from the dirt in different spots. I am not sure if they are shoots from the same tree or many trees. Do you see any problem with buying those?

I donā€™t but that seems pricey.

1 Like

Heeeeey Jocelyn nudge nudge
Since iā€™m from around the same parts where you sent some nuts all those years ago, iā€™m wondering if you are willing to repeat this year. Just digging deep these last couple of months and happened on this thread. Iā€™m definitely not asking for a free service here. Let me know if you are interested!

Is the Timber type faster growing, or better wood quality ?
Yeah seeing those Nut shells the wood is really nice looking I think Even reusing the Shell for like a guitar pick would look nice I suppose for small inlay work, but I am no wood worker.

I bought Chestnuts That where expensive one pre made
Had a caramel flavor I didnā€™t get into good flavor just something not for me ,
but maybe if I ate more I would like them *sometimes I do adapt after a while .

Do most taste that way, or were they dosed in sugar or something ? (pretty high end though )
Still had a flavor that didnā€™t make me super excited

( I did roast on a fire at pawpaw fest but had little flavor but did like the smokieness )

Thank you all, and thank you the French man for explaining how to open to separate the shell.
I actually might like the boiled ones as I like the bitter astringent flavor will see if the stores offer whole ones to experiment , and blending different techniques or other ingredients with them.

Have you checked on ā€˜dentata chestnuts in Europeā€™ in your search bar?

There are quite a few pop upā€¦Denmark is northern, and many public gardens and parks have 100 year old dentatas. These predate the blight and are northern. Your regulations changed in Dec 2019, and I have to heat treat nuts to send them nowā€¦meaning, they probably wonā€™t grow.
Tallin has some sativas in a park there, Estonia, and there are a few dentatas just outside Tallinā€¦

Hi Eric,

Iā€™m not a chestnut go to knowledge guy. Timber chestnuts are definitely a different strain though. My accounts eating chestnuts have been from a microwave oven a few times.

My friendā€™s wife made sausage and chestnut soup with noodles and other components. I thought I was getting a big taste of cilantro (which I vehemently dislike) but, it was the chestnuts that tasted cilantro-like.

Good luck brother.

Hey, thanks a ton for getting back to me so fast!

Thanks to you, I had some more ideas how to search and you are correct, there seem to be a few plants growing. One in the official botanical garden (that has never set fruit i believe) and some privately owned trials which also havenā€™t had a chance to grow enough to bear fruit or have died back to roots during cold winters about 10 or so years ago. At least as far as I can find out through web search. They are all supposedly sativas, havent found any dentatas. And Iā€™d much prefer chinese or Chinese hybrids that have already proven themselves as tasting good and being ultra cold hardy.
Denmark is on a similar latitude, but a LOT warmer climate due to being more open to the Atlantic, so itā€™s actually no comparisonā€¦

Really sucks about the thermal treatment requirement. Is there really no way around it?

Chinese ones are not as hardy, and my mostly Chinese ones have all eventually died. There is a lot of variation within a seedlot, so if you have enough land, or friends willing to help, you could plant a lot and hope a few make it. You might need long dormancy seedlots, if you get mid winter thaws and shorter dormancy ones are apt to wake up and freeze out when the cold returns. That often means a lot of dentata content, and from a northern area.
Heat treatment is not as bad as it sounds, some countries require only 49 degrees C, and those will still grow. Treatments depend on where the seedlot is grown. Small amounts may come in under different rules too. Start off by looking for the staff directory of your local university or dept of Agriculture, and e-mail anybody who is a plant breeder to see whatā€™s possible in your regulatory framework. Pollen might be OK, and I would be happy to send you some. You could then bag and hand pollinate some of those single sativas in Tallin.
Try looking up papers about chestnut breeding or grafting, and see if there is a corresponding author. Those folks will answer e-mails. You might be able to bring in seed for research purposes, and would have to grow them in pots in your porch for 2 years, as form of quaranteen. Itā€™s going to take some digging on your part, but is probably doable, even under the new regs.

As far as I could dig out, it appears all exporters from outside of European Union need to prove a phytosanitary certificate with both, pollen and chestnuts. Didnā€™t see anything about requiring thermal treatment. Checking confirmation from a customs officer on that one.

How blight resistant are the dentata hybrids? I thought it was a bad idea to get that variety.

Giving the Danish nurseries a comb-over right now.

It varies from country to country, so check to see what Canada needs. Phytos are possible, but it costs $100 to have them come out here and examine the trees and do the paperworks.
Dentatas, or mostly dentatas, are the most cold hardy. Since the sativas in Tallin are stunted and not flowering (is that correct), then they are too cold. Dentatas can take more cold. Whether dentatas will flower at your location is unknown. They were tried in Iceland, but they diedā€¦too long a winter, even if not much colder. You might be past the range of the blight, unless it comes in on the nursery stock you are buying. This is not likely, as the blight load gets less as chestnuts become less common, and as it gets colder.
I have pure dentatas here, and some mostly pure dentatas, and while I had them examined, the testers gave different answers as to what species or species mix they are.

I have one hybrid with Chinese behind the barn, but it dies back in the cold and has stayed as a large bushā€¦it never became a big tree.

You could also try Turkey, they are trying to push their chestnut industry higher up into the mountains. They might have the genetics you need. They are in the EU also. Look for a chestnut growers group in Turkey and use a translater to talk to people there. They will know if any of the varieties you can get are cold hardy. Seed sources make a big difference also. Colder areas are selected bynature to produce more cold hardy seedlings. Seedlings are hardier than grafts .

An unnamed Japanese/European hybrid from the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station.

12 Likes

Iā€™m looking for Kaibutsu and Gillet scions chestnuts. Do any of you have these varieties or know where I could buy scions?

Washington Chestnut Company sells the trees.

http://www.washingtonchestnut.com/

I asked in early December and they didnā€™t have these varieties anymore. Maybe they will have a spring offer?

I have a few of the chinese type growing in pots. Be interesting to see how they handle this winter (i just buried the pots in the groundā€“they are covered somewhat with snow).

1 Like

I never know what they are going to have from year to year. One year I asked a year ahead of time to be sure. They may even have custom grafted something. I donā€™t know.

Sometimes they sell their trees through One Green World or Raintree Nursery.

More Gillet nuts -

10 Likes

Are these a variety of chestnut? They are beautiful. Can we please see a picture of the tree!

Wow. Iā€™m always shocked to see how big those nuts are. Squirrels must go crazy for them. I once threw a mango seed to a squirrel and it ran off with it.

1 Like

Yes, the variety is called Gillet. I do not have a photo of the tree. It looks like most other chestnut trees.

Some other chestnuts will do this when the chestnut burs open too soon, although theyā€™re not usually as pretty as Gillet.

These are Bouche de Betizac -

6 Likes