Giant Chestnuts

Thank you. Edible?

Yes, edible.

Inwish I could grow it. No room.

It does take a lot of room because it takes two trees and they can get big, larger than most fruit trees.

Salve, sono un produttore di bousc de bedizac nel sud dell’ Italia, sono molto interessato a queste nuove varieta’ americane sopra indicate, es. BERGANTZ, SZEGO, GILLET e SCHLARBAUM, è possibile avere piu’ informazioni tecniche su queste varieta’ e se c’ è ne sono altre ugualmente interessanti.
grazie

1 Like

Forse Guido Bassi, Bassi Vivai, Via Tonello 17, 12100 Cuneo che ha questi tipo di castagne. Bergantz e Gillet sarano Europeo e Giapponese. Bergantz sono molto saporita ma non fare polline. Gillet fare polline e cresce molto rapidamente e anche saporita. Szego e complesso, Cinesi-Giapponese-Sequini, fare polline, e cresce molto rapidamente. Schlarbaum e Cinesi-Giapponese ma no fare polline and non e saporita ma non diventare marcio per molto tempo. Buona fortuna

2 Likes

grazie mille

è importante provare, queste varieta’ alle mie latitudini perche’ le trovo interessanti

1 Like

hi CASTANEA, I am an Italian chestnut producer, this year I grafted, SZEGO, GILLET and BERGANTZ, I wanted to ask for more information on these three varieties since they do not exist here yet, especially as regards productivity over time and flavor? ? , on the other hand, as regards SZEGO in particular, the plant looks like a wild one as in February it still has dry leaves on top and small leaves and whoever gave me the slips tells me that it has not yet produced, can you tell me something more?
a thousand thanks

Gillet is a sativa/crenata hybrid. It does produce large amounts of pollen. It produces huge nuts, as large as those from Maraval or larger. All of the nuts are large. Some trees with large nuts produce small nuts also. Gillet only produces large nuts. The nuts have one embryo. The nuts peel very easily. The nuts are sweet enough to be eaten raw when cured a while. In California, the nuts drop from October 1 to October 20. Gillet is extremely productive. It is very vigorous and grafts well on anything.
Single embryos:

49 grams, 53 grams, 47 grams and 40 grams:

One of the prettiest nuts you can grow:

6 Likes

Gillet flowers:

1 Like

Bergantz is a sativa/crenata hybrid. It produces little or no pollen. It produces very large nuts with excellent flavor. The nuts peel well. 95% or more of the nuts have one embryo. The burs are very large. In California, the nuts drop from September 25 to October 5. Bergantz is sometimes picky about rootstock.
These 6 nuts weigh 260 grams, or an average of 43 grams each:

Some slightly smaller nuts:

4 Likes

Castanea che mi dici della produttività di BERGANTZ?

Szego is a very complex hybrid - crenata, pumila, mollissima and maybe dentata.
It is very vigorous. Nuts are large with one embryo. Nut quality is excellent. Nut density is not as dense as mollissima, but denser than sativa. Nuts peel well. Nuts drop from late September to early/mid October in California. The tree is a good pollen producer. Nut production is not as heavy as sativa hybrids. The tree is very resistant to root rot. It can get some blight cankers in areas with heavy blight. It grafts well on many different species and hybrids.
Szego nuts:

Szego pollen:

One year old Szego graft:
One year old Szego graft

7 Likes

love lookin at your nuts…

1 Like

Here’s a good one -

4 Likes

Castanea, di che varietà stiamo parlando ? Sembra eccezionale

NCC 6.
Crenata/sativa. Tree is a very heavy producer. Nuts peel well, but nut flavor is bland. Should be crossed with a tree that has nuts with more flavor.

Castanea, secondo un tuo parere su quale VARIETAoggi si dovrebbe investire ( impiantare nuovi castagneti di una certa dimensione ), sia dal punto di vista commerciale che qualitativo

It depends on where you live. The answer is different for the eastern US than the western US and different in different parts of Europe.

1 Like

Since burying the graft union to achieve rooting was mentioned here I thought it appropriate to give the following report:

A number of years ago I successfully grafted three ‘Szego’ (as low as possible) onto seedling chestnuts. After the grafts were successful I buried the graft unions and have semi-neglected them in pots till today when I examined them for rooting success and re-potted.

The most vigorous of the three had large healthy roots below the graft, but zero root formation at or above the graft union. The other two had grown less vigorously and the original seedling roots appear to have developed very little post-grafting. Each of these two had a golf ball sized lump of callous tissue on the scion side of the graft and lots of root formation around and above the graft union.

This indicates to me that the two which rooted above the graft were clearly showing some incompatibility with the rootstock while the one without root formation above the burried graft union had great compatibility between the scion and rootstock. Therefore, if the graft is low and the soil well drained, burying the graft seems to be good insurance in case of incompatibilities, but at a minimum will be harmless if no rootstock incompatibilities occur.

5 Likes