Glencoe raspberry

Interested in Glencoe raspberry. Mainly due to the thornless trait.

Who has grown it, and what does it taste like? Is it more like a black or a red in flavor?

2 Likes

Anyone?

Are you asking about the red or purple version?

I am currently growing Glencoe Purple. I have it growing in a 25 gal fabric pot, and this was the first year I got a good crop off it, as it’s still young.

Taste wise, I’d say it’s a unique flavor, different from both the reds and blacks. Some of my family members said the purple was their favorite. The berry is sometimes crumbly for me, but I am always eating it fresh, so I don’t really mind.

I haven’t grown any other purple varieties so I can’t compare to those.

I have Glencoe purple from baker creek. I agree that it can be crumbly. Mine is growing in dappled shade and is putting out as good a crop as other varieties in more sun. It likes to tip root and has long octopus canes but like you said few to no thorns so I don’t mind walking through them.

It’s my favorite raspberry variety. I agree that it has a unique flavor, maybe between a red rasp and a blackberry if I had to say. Seems to have less acid though. I had only grown a few to be fair. Swd destroyed the other varieties last season but didn’t bother glencoe. Not sure if luck or something else.