Going to plant a Bushel and Berry™ Peach Sorbet™ Blueberry and need some ideas about a good and interesting cross pollinator for zone 9a

Hello Fruit Growers,

I am looking for recommendations on a good companion/cross pollinator with Bushel and Berry™ Peach Sorbet™ Blueberry that I have decided I need in my yard. I know it is supposed to be self pollinating but if I want more berries I need a companion for it. I am in zone 9a SE Texas and would like some recommendations as far as great tasting and prolific, but most of all interesting blueberries that can take the weather we get down here. Note I will be planting in the ground. I don’t want to add to the number of pots that I store during the cold spells.

I’ve read Sweetcrisp and Springhigh are the best southern blueberries. Reka is supposedly also reputed for taste, and Chandler & Darrow for good taste with huge size. But those are all northern types, so I don’t know how well they do in zone 9.

@Starstryke, Peach Sorbet is really just not very good tasting, imho. I got it on impulse because the foliage is beautiful and I needed something to put in a certain pot before I had friends over. Well, it turns out only to look good for part of the year, and the blueberries have NO flavor. Just for context, I have some very healthy productive blueberry plants in the ground–Southmoon (the best), Misty (also delicious), and I have two young but growing sweet crisps which I haven’t allowed to fruit yet. I pulled out two O’Neals because they were out-of-whack with the seasons here. I don’t know your area well, but I’m in 9b and Southern highbush blueberries thrive here, so I would hope you could find better flavored blueberries for your area!

2 Likes