Goldrush Apple in the Pacific Northwest

This is not my location but I though some of you would enjoy the video.

9 Likes

This is another video of Enterprise and they compare it with Goldrush.

6 Likes

Bill, the Goldrush you sent me grafted easily and was precocious - in fact, I had enough apples on one branch that it broke. But even with our short growing season it looks to be a terrific apple, and I’m hoping the few I stored will improve with age.

2 Likes

Pink Lady is an apple that I like and rank it almost as high as Goldrush. It grows well at my location and as has a long storage life.

4 Likes

Mine had those red spots. I thought it might be San Jose Scale. I gave it a dormant oil spray last year and there were no spots last year.

I’ve learned that calling the area “Pacific Northwest” is kind of a broad category. Inland, East of the Cascades is high desert. West of the Cascades is milder, wetter, warmer winter, cooler summer. And lots of micro climates.

My main interest in GoldRush is (a) disease resistant and (b) as a long keeper apple. I like sweeter / less sour apples better but I do think it has a place.

1 Like

I am in that high desert part of the PNW & will try to depict my first crop of GoldRush. Tree is a slam-dunk to grow, natural crotch angles without my help, durable wood even on first year growth. Good thing, since we went from no frost in all of October to 4 inches of snow Monday, Nov. 7. None of my apple trees had lost leaves. I grafted this one to Bud118; now 12 feet tall and about six foot spread, which I expect will increase as it matures.
GoldRush has been among the last of my trees to bloom, with only Connell Red (Fireside sport) and Claygate (triploid) a day or so later. (Connell is pretty, big and totally lacking in flavor. I wish to replace it this spring. Claygate is a little bush bearing a couple unforgettable apples each year.)

Maybe I can get help in posting a photo from my phone of the GoldRush crop. Pretty good looking; still rather high in acids.

5 Likes

Yesterday:

9 Likes

Murky,
They look more pale green than mellow yellow.

I’ve left 3-4 GR on my tree through temp below 25 F last week. They look ok today and their coloring is similar to yours.

1 Like

Supposed to get down to 20 on Thursday, so I should probably pick before then.

1 Like

If I remember it correctly, 21F is the lowest temp to keep apples on a tree. I picked the majority of my GR last week before temp went down below 25 F (could be as low as 22-23) for one night.

Many were pale green and some started to turn yellow. These will be fine in storage.

If it goes down to 21 or lower, if it were me, I would pick them. Fortunately for me, after that one night, there has not been anything below 25 F since or for the next 10 days. I will leave my Gold Rush and my Pink Lady on the trees as long as I can.

4 Likes

Opal is another Golden Delicious cross that is from the PNW. I think its only grown in WA. Only available Nov-

The ones at Walmart are good… but the ones in the organic bag at Kroger are somehow alot better to me… The Kroger ones you can taste hints of cinnamon, nutmeg and a tiny bit of carmel. The walmart ones are just crisp and tasty but without the spice notes. Not sure why.

2 Likes

different orchard different rootstock

Opals store pretty well and are available for months, at least here. The quality varies from exceptional to pretty good. Overall, its a much better bet than most apples around here. I wish I could grow it.

@mamuang , yeah, the color of my Goldrush are like the upper left most one of yours. This year was a late summer, it was a long, cold, wet spring. Hopefully they’ll ripen better in future years for me.

2 Likes