Good or bad insect?

This thing is sitting on a nectarine tree ri

ght next to what appears to be a ladybug but is 4 times bigger. Is it good or bad?

1 Like

Chrysomela populi

If I were you I would use an insecticide at least to minimize an keep under control.

Best Regards

2 Likes

I read that they like poplar trees. Do they like peach leaves also?

1 Like

I don’t think your first move should be to use insecticide. If anything, it should be your very last resort. Maybe contact your local extension service or go to a respected garden center and inquire. You could even use an app for Id purposes.

1 Like

I’m curious why you don’t recommend an insecticide for a non-native pest species?

I would begin with manual squashing myself as I’ve adopted with stink bugs and lantern flies, but sometimes that option is not realistic with large areas.

1 Like

I still have flowers on the peach trees so I have to wait to spray

Today I found this odd insect. One on a tulip poplar flower. And another over a pattern of leaf damage on an apple bud. Looks like a grasshopper mated with an aphid and a sucking bug.

Perhaps one of the predatory assassin bug nymphs.

1 Like

Just FYI the OP is in Europe, where that species is native, and I don’t think it’s a pest on fruit trees?

2 Likes

Ahah! I didn’t pick up on that. Definitely changes the perspective on my comments.

OP is from Italy, ID-er is from Spain, and the insect species is not listed on Bugguide.
Clean sweep: all three are non-USA.

3 Likes

I also like a good beef steak, but if there isn’t one, I’ll settle for a hamburger :rofl:

This beetle is categorized as a plague.

Best Regards

1 Like