Goodland Apple

Last year we grafted a Goodland apple onto a branch of an older bearing tree, hoping to get an earlier taste before grafting it to its own tree. I’d read differing reports of flavor and hardiness. To my surprise this year it set a fruit. Since the tree and branch were strong and vigorous I let it go. It grew to be a beautiful apple.

apple-Goodland-onBeacon2-fruitSept8-gf

Last week my Goodland dropped. It was pretty exciting because this year was the first to get fruit from any of our apple grafts (also Nutting and an old tree unknown). I set it on the counter and admired it thoroughly. Well, you know how it is with your first one.

apple-Goodland-fruit-gf

I waited four days then cut it. Nice! Tender crisp, juicy. But … the real test … taste … cut slices, one to Steve, one to me … same reaction from both - Delicious!! We both really like this one. We eeked out eating the rest of the apple over several hours, appreciating every bite. Nothing like having only one to make you really pay attention to it. Skin is tender, flavor sweet with enough tart, with an interesting sweet aftertaste that I’ve never noticed in an apple before. Be nice if it was a bit later maturing but I’ve read it keeps fairly well for some months. I’ve already picked out a seedling to graft to next year. I sure hope future fruit is as good as this first one.

apple-Goodland-fruit-cut-gf

20 Likes

That’s a very good looking apple!

7 Likes

As good as it was it could be even better as your tree gets older. Nothing like the first apple test.

4 Likes

Nice looking apple! I ate one yesterday, though it was smaller than yours. The tree was young, but the Goodland was pretty tasty.

4 Likes

I have a second graft on a branch of a skinny young crab. When it fruits it’ll be interesting to see if there is a size difference. This one was on a large healthy Beacon. Sue

3 Likes

Nice looking big apple. I have been looking to try this apple out as well. I just not have heard of anyone that actually grew one.
Looks like it may be a great choice.

1 Like

I remember Ursula @northof53 said she removed her Goodland to grow “better” varieties but this first apple was really good for us. Hopefully she will chime in and say why she didn’t like it. I think someone else on the list mentioned growing it, too, @greenthumb21x ? . I think it’s not real common in the US. I got my scion from USDA. Be awhile before I have wood to share but will when I do. Sue

2 Likes

I think it is personal preference on Goodland. It grows well and produces fairly large apples which is a rarity in our area. The people here that grow it love it because the size is impressive and it sure looks wonderful hanging on the tree or in a basket, but it has no flavour. It is plenty juicy, with a thinner skin, a slight astringency but no zip. I tried to make applesauce and pie and the blandness required another apple to be added to the mix.

Maybe it is an environment thing, or maybe it is because when I taste a well ripened Trailman, Sweet 16, Chestnut, or Norkent the Goodland leaves me unimpressed despite it’s larger size.

I have lots of room for apples, but I don’t have much patience for what, in my area, I consider is an underachiever. I am a ruthless culler of those that I dislike LOL, I have no shame in grafting over or cutting out.

4 Likes

How is the Norkent? How is apple for you? I have seen it listed only one place in the last couple of years. I have not know anyone that has actually grown it.
I agree with you. I have no patience for a fruit tree that has inferior tasting fruit or an underachiever. It takes too long to actually get any fruit off the trees.

The Norkent is not mine but a neighbours so my impressions are only on the taste not tree growing habits. My Norkent is 3 years old, flowered this spring but did not set fruit. I find it a good eating apple it has a little bit of pear taste just like my Trailman, apparently they say it stores pretty well into Dec. but loses a little flavour.

1 Like

I’m interested in Goodland. Nice ripening season for my area. I’ve heard it’s good for northern climates and we are had a short growing season this year with harsh cold and snow. It’s easy to dream of peaches and unicorns but I think I better design with zone 3+ reality in mind. Curious to ponder how many Goldrush I may ever see.

1 Like

An update on my Goodlands - This year I had 16 apples on two grafts ('18 & '20). They continue healthy and delicious. Just one had some watercore. They dropped throughout September and we ate them all fresh. Along with 3 Discovery these were out in front our favorite fresh eaters. I’ll be grafting more branches on this tree in the spring. When I have more I’ll save some to see how they store. Sue

2 Likes

Thanks for the update! My Goodland tree was the first fruit tree Ive planted, about 4 years ago. Never heard of the variety before getting the tree. Apparently its very popular in the Canadian Prairy provinces which is where it was originally developed (Manitoba). I live on the west coast of Canada and it doesnt seem to be very popular here. Ive had a few apples since planting. Most have been sour which could be my fault from picking too early. Ive heard the flavour improves as the tree matures. Has this been the case for you? The tree grows so well, ive decided to try grafting other varieties onto it for the first time this spring.

1 Like

Welcome to the Growing Fruit site. Lots of good people with a lot of experience with growing fruit.
It does get better after it fruits a few years. I would say that you picked it too soon this time.I get anxious to taste an apple I grow and end up picking them too early as well.
It just an issue of getting use to knowing when the apple actually gets ripe where you live. Some apple trees is you have pick them at exactly the right time. Others you can get it close and they are fine.

1 Like

Hi Stephen - I let almost all of my Goodlands drop (mid - late September) before we ate them so they were ripe. Maybe yours was not quite ripe yet? The first apple three years ago was very good as well. My Goodlands are grafted on a mature producing tree so that might help, too. But location certainly can make a big difference (see Ursula’s opinion above) and though we’re both northerners I’m guessing our climates are rather different. But I do hope yours are tastier and better for you this season. Sue

1 Like

This is one of the common apples found in Alaska. It being an early cropper and super hardy, two of the required qualities here.

Among others I have parkland, Norland, goodland, and norkent. Most folks on the lower 48 never heard of them but in the far north they are household names.

1 Like

Goodland is one of the first apples I planted a decade ago. It has not fruited every year, but is probably my most dependable. Taste wise you must favour a tart apple to enjoy this one. I do think it is good for apple sauce. In my windy climate it suffers from June drop, July drop, August drop, and if waiting for it to sweeten up it suffers from September drop. This after aggressive thinning. Of all my apple trees it is the one that most aggressively tries to grow vertical. It needs training early.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone for all the replies. Its nice to be able to discuss with other people who grow this variety. The tree itself is pretty awesome with how well it grows and its resistance to diseases. Scab hasnt been any issue at all where as other varieties are really affected due to our wet spring. Goodland also has been cropping really well, unfortunately last year all my apples were damaged by coddling moth which I think caused any of the apples I left on the tree to drop early. Im really hoping to get a better sample this year so that I can properly judge the flavour and quality of the apple.

2 Likes