Gorham Pear

Just picked a few Gorham. The tree is around 60-75 years old and quite healthy despite basically no upkeep. Also apparently self-fertile! These seem to tree ripen just fine without that pesky internal breakdown that can make harvesting some other varieties a bit of a challenge. Nice quality, superior to Bartlet in my opinion. Great fresh eating and also culinary usage make it a fine all around choice. With some walnuts and a dash of maple syrup it makes my breakfast porridge quite a treat!

18 Likes

@JesseinMaine

Great looking fruit and a nice big crop! Glad to see things are going well! How did your other pears do this year? Some of my pears were light and some were very heavy croppers this year. The weather has been very strange here.

1 Like

Horrible year for pears due to porcupine damage, severely set back many trees and stripped most of their crop before ripening

2 Likes

@JesseinMaine

Sorry to read this are the porcupine under control now?

porcupines are the equivalent to rabbit damage out your way but worse, esp northern maine has alot of porkys and they love bark and can climb. sorry to hear they found your fruit trees Jesse. never heard of the Gorham pear. is it a heritage variety?

1 Like

Newer heritage variety? I think it was developed in the early 20th century.

1 Like

may i hit you up for some scion wood next spring? i have a ivans beauty hybrid ash i could graft it to.

2 Likes

Sure

1 Like

The gorham i have is heavy with blooms this year.

1 Like