Got ice?

11 Likes

It’s remind me of winter 1998 when everything standing above ground received so much rain turned into ice. Horrible time for many hundreds of thousands of people caught in the ‘ice triangle’. Very very very bad souvenirs from than dreadful year. Hope your trees won’t suffer. Marc

1 Like

Yes… here in Middle TN… Ice, freezing rain, topped by over a inch of sleet, then more freezing rain and today it has been snowing all day… a winter wonderland for sure. If it would only do this at Christmas… and then like the next week turn into Spring I would like that better… Christmas, and then Fishing, Gardening…

I just don’t like late winter now that I am older…

TNHunter

8 Likes

Want more? I can pack it with snow and send your way😜

2 Likes

i remember that. Quebec and central Maine got pounded hard. we got 3ft of snow in 24 hrs. here.

1 Like

https://youtu.be/Q-dqhfUKjYU

We fared better than I expected in middle Middle TN.
Not sure the technical term for it, but what fell was like microscopic hail. It was bouncing off everything. So on the trees we don’t have the thick ice like the picture above. Thankfully.

More is on the way though…

2 Likes

That much ice just plain sucks, always a lot of destruction with that much accumulation especially if accompanied by any wind. I lived through the Nebraska ice storm of 2006 and it sucked.

1 Like

Almost nothing but freezing rain in my part of middle TN. Everything was covered in thick ice. We did get a light dusting of snow to cover it. I still took the dogs for a walk yesterday.

6 Likes

That’s about what it looks like here…with a little less hay/grass showing. But it’s not reached above 32…so more tonight may mean the worst damage is yet to come here.

1 Like

oh wow, yeah it does not look like that here…the “dripping” clear ice on the tree limbs did not happen here.
EDIT: …yet

We had a lot of that Monday, almost 2in of it. Look like ice pellets, not snow. Then it got down to 12 this morning, so it’s a hard, slick crust. Even our vehicle hardly put a dent in it driving over it. Supposed to get actual snow (2-4") this evening and tomorrow.

1 Like

Its called graupel.

2 Likes

Yeah, I had looked that up before I posted. I had thought it was called grappel.

Nyet…I disagree. It was sleet. Mini-hail. Not the ping-pong weighted graupel.

1 Like

Fortunately not much ice in White co, and the few bamboo stalks that leaned or broke didn’t mash anything important. Cookeville had a hard time with electrical lines.

1 Like

It’s starting to thaw …
Icicles… evaporating , getting thin

2 Likes