Got my Clemson bags today

Who has tried these and had any luck with them?

2 Likes

Link?

https://www.clemson.edu/extension/peach/commercial/diseases/clemsonfruitbags.html

1 Like

If you use the search function (a looking glass symbol on the top right corner of a page , you will find plenty of info about Clemson bags.

Here is one of many threads. You should read up those old threads.

I tried the bags last year and they did fine.They first seemed like water could deteriorate them,but tested one first by soaking it.There must be some kind of coating or something added,when making the paper,that helps it’s water resistance.

It is a type of wax paper, I believe. I can use some of those bags for two years when I am careful.

1 Like

I have been using these bags for maybe 3 or 4 years now on my peaches and apples. I really like them. It really cuts down on my sprays.

1 Like

I put 200 bags on peaches and the squirrels took every one off in two weeks and ate out all the peaches.

Sounds like you need bags made by Sturm Ruger Company!

2 Likes

Sounds like a job for Smith and Wesson.

5 Likes

They are not intended as squirrel protection; they are excellent protection from insects and birds.

3 Likes

Try Roadrunner ACME bags

5 Likes

I had squirrels take every single peach one year. I tried shooting, trapping, and scare tactics but the thing that finally worked for me was trimming limbs up higher and putting an upside down 5 gallon bucket with hole in the bottom about 3-4 feet off the ground and around trunk. I’ve only done this two years but both years worked.

5 Likes

Welcome,Justin
That bucket idea is interesting,but I’m having difficulty picturing,how it’s attached to the tree.

Search bagging fruit on this site. Members have tried everything. Clemson does not work. NOTHING stops squirrels.

1 Like

Clemson bags work for what it is designed for, protect fruit from insect and bird bites when you put them on before insects or birds arrive. It does not protect against squirrels.

Bags that may be able to protect against squirrels are made of materials used for window screen. Those are home-made bags. It is time consuming and costly. They also need to be strategically placed so squirrels cannot rip them off. I have used them and they worked well. Not cost effective.

2 Likes

Re: “strategically placed” - I used Organza bags on my figs. Worked fine against insects but the furry tailed rats bit the fruit off the trees. So, how does one strategically place a window screen bag so that the fruit does not get bitten off?

Squirrels aren’t really the issue for me.

Put them on like the other bags and then drive a stake in the ground,near the plants.Add a chain with a dog at the end of it.

2 Likes

I should not call my window screen material “bag”. I made it into a long sleeve. I bagged each section of 21-15” branch. Squirrels have not figure out how to snatch the whole branch.

I don’t recommend it. A lot of work, can be pricey, more difficult to put on and take off. It is also heavier than other materials causing branches to sag.

@Auburn has success with window screen bags. His are bags, not sleeves.