Goya 16 Bean Soup Mix **Challenge**

Ok, 2022 fun. Find a spot and plant a bag of

Goya 16 bean soup mix.

Goya 16 Bean Soup Mix (instacart.com)

4 Likes

How many of the included varieties are bush, half-runner, pole types? Could be a mess!

Iā€™ve planted bagged small red field peas from the grocery to fill in skips in my cowpea rows, in the past. Also red Adzuki beans.
Soā€¦most of those are probably viable seeds.

1 Like

Sounds fun.

1 Like

Definitely could be a consideration for that ā€˜cover crop for unused garden areaā€™ deal.

1 Like

Iā€™m imagining someone just digging one hole and ā€œplantingā€ that entire bag unopened.

ā€¦

ā€œWhereā€™s my soup tree???ā€

3 Likes

likely all of them. I am going to plant them right over the fence line in the woods back door. I will create some make shift lean tos in or something. There is a felled tree left by the previous owner that could use some nitrogen. I will drill some holes in it and see if any take like a half ass hugleculture.

4 Likes

should be pretty cool. i have a few bags of that i bought to make a 3 bean salad. plan to put out patches of flax, quinoa, amaranth and desert chia as a supplement feed source for my chickens. might throw some lentils and beans in there as well. about 4 years ago i had about 5 packets of old seed so i mixed them together and planted them in a row in front of my raspberry patch. they grew surprisingly well being so close together. i had string beans, cucumber, beets , carrots and lettuce that came up.

2 Likes

So did your 16 bean crop have much success?

Did the deer enjoy them along the fence line by the woods?

Deer didnā€™t bother any of my beans last year, and barely impacted the cowpeas. But they were tough, at times, on the sweet potatoes and Roselle.
I grew black turtle, yellow-eye, cranberry, Navy, and Mayocoba shell beans from the grocery last yearā€¦ in addition to a white marrowfat type Iā€™d bought seed of.
Iā€™d had no real expectation of whether they would be bush, half-runner or pole habit, but all were fairly small bush types, certainly less space-occupying than any of the cowpeas.

I never got around to clearing the area. But this year I should do it for sure since I paid to clear the area to get a new fence installed.

@Lucky_P I hope I get as lucky as you.

2 Likes