Graft peach yet?

Peaches are at “first bloom” stage.

I want to do some grafting. After the freeze this week we have a potentially good weather window. Sunny and highs around 68-72 for 4 days. However the stock trees aren’t quite that advanced (full bloom or leaves 1/4” seems better).

Would you do it Sunday or wait?

A few could be tried.It looks like there is a warmer stretch coming in mid April.

1 Like

Meh. Maybe ok to go now, but not great.

My concern is the lack of another window in the extended forecast.

Would you do it?

I’m gonna wait. Scionwood in fridge is still fully dormant, and one of the local weather guys says Tue-Thu will be cooler than models suggest due to showers.

2 Likes

I’d wait. Having a “7” in front of the temperature for at least a day or two is better.

I meant to dig up a few dormant peach seedlings and to try bench grafting. Bench grafts you can callous exactly at the perfect peach temperature 24/7. Of course I forgot to do it in time. I also forgot to collect apple scions, I had to grub around last week to find a few shoots with some dormant buds left on them.

3 Likes

My iPhone app keeps wavering back and forth. Now it says 70 for Mon and Tue. I do think waiting is better. My scionwood still looks plump and dormant in the fridge.

My only fear is it’ll be cool and crappy, then suddenly, a high of 87.

My apples have all broken dormancy, but some of the lower buds on longer 1-yr shoots still look dormant.

There’s never a rush, Bryan.

midst 70’s for a few weeks and hopefully night-time temps in the 50-55 F range.

There’s nothing wrong with 87 either when you have a midst 70’s stretch.

1 Like

Although one of the weather pages I follow just said we could be cool and stormy through the TWENTIETH!

Now I wonder if I should try it. Yesterday ended up warmer than forecast, and now I’m showing low 70s for highs through Thursday.

The stock trees themselves aren’t that far along though. Only tiny green leaves showing.

I may do a few but save some scionwood…

I grafted peaches yesterday when the temperature was in 70s, and few more nice days this week. I will keep my fingers crossed

1 Like

Turns out I probably could have grafted Sunday morning.

I did it on Monday, and it turns out the last three days have been in the 70s, as was Sunday.

Tomorrow should be close to 70, then 50s Friday, then back to the 70s for the weekend. I think it was actually a pretty good window after all.

I did save some scions in the fridge, though. I might try a “round two“ in a couple weeks.

1 Like

I did the same thing. It looked OK then but it kept getting better as the week went on. I also saved some scion and stocks and will do another round in the next warm spell. It is generally looking pretty good ahead, Friday is cooler but after that most days are pretty good.

Based on past years this is a better than average window with lots of sun in the low 70s; we should have some success.

My weather station hit 80 yesterday. Almost worried it was TOO warm.

I don’t graft peaches until they’re leafed out. To me,
that’s more important than the weather forecast.

I swear one of my scions is already pushing a little bit. But I’m gonna give it a few days before I get excited.

I did my first round last Monday and Tuesday with round two today.
I’ve used about ever graft technique I could think of so hopefully I’ll have a few takes.

I have quite a few seedlings coming up i hope to graft this August too.

1 Like

My plums and apricots are all pushing and a few of the peaches as well. I think we hit a great window. Lengthy cold at this point can stall and do in peaches but it is only cool for the next week. Hopefully we will get a bit of sun to give them some spots of warmth.