Graft vs another tree

Hi all, new guy here. A few weeks ago I planted a semi-dwarf lime tree and what i discovered was a semi-dwarf meyer lemon in my yard. At the time I didn’t know much about lemons, but I now understand that I think I’d prefer a more traditional eureka or libson lemon variety, as my uses for lemons tend to be more in cooking and cocktails, hah.

Question is, how hard would it be to graft a branch or three of another lemon variety into the tree (probably next winter/spring tho, i imagine it’s too late this year?) I’ve never grafted before, but I like the idea of not producing a bunch of fruit I won’t use. Are there good resources out there I can check out? Where does one get grafting supplies?

The meyer tree is already budding with many flowers right now, even though it’s just three feet tall or so.

Thanks!

4 Likes

There is a lot of info on this site about grafting… i loved cooking with my Meyer lemons, but my Four Seasons lemon is larger and better all around and prolific. I bought my grafting tools on amazon , but there are better places!

1 Like

Also just type the word Grafting in the search box here or on Youtube.

2 Likes

thank you!

I bought my zenport style tool from Aliexpress for around 35 bucks including extra blades, and the linked thread has a link to the Sumo Bonsai Supply Buddy Tape. It’s expensive, but I just used it for the first time to graft some sugar cane jujube scions onto my honey jar, and it was a night and day difference in ease of use (and almost certainly effectiveness) compared to the cheap plastic stuff that came with my omega tool (the plastic handled one, I don’t recommend it). Combine those with some of the temflex RUBBER electrical tape (home depot or Lowe’s for under 3 bucks) and a pair of hand pruners and a sharp knife and you should be set.

2 Likes