Grafting Bark and Burying the Rootstock To Save a Tree

I have a sweet cherry that I recently removed a significant amount of canker/disease from the trunk. It nearly wrapped around the entire 4" diameter trunk, leaving only about 1 Inch of clean area. I think this impacted the tree because it created A LOT more fruit than usual ( now to see if any are actually pollinated… ) Unfortunately, it appears that there may be a new canker forming in the vicinity of the bottleneck created by removing the other disease… If it does, the tree will be girdled.

Is it possible to strip a piece of bark from elsewhere on the tree, and graft it over the region I removed bark from? Will it fuse with the wood that has already been exposed?

Another tree ( a plum ) has disease encircling the base at the graft region. Its too odd to remove and would leave very little clean region. Would removing some of the bark at and above the graft region, using rooting compound on the exposed wood, and then burying this area work to root the tree above the graft to help prevent it from being girdled?

3 Likes

I think what you’re talking about is called bridge grafting.
http://www.ladybug.uconn.edu/FactSheets/trees--bridge-grafting-and-inarching-.php

4 Likes

I was thinking more along the lines of grafting a flat sheet of peeled bark, like a giant bud graft, but yes, bridge grafting may be the way I need to go. Thanks! The problem now is, I have no dormant cherry scions… I have some dormant, not very thick, plum scions. Would Damson scion work on a sweet cherry? Is it possible non-dormant scion freshly cut from the tree would work?