Grafting Cornus mas

Great advice!

There’s a real easy tutorial of Sherri Crabtree from Kentucky State University chip budding pawpaws. While I don’t cut the chip off like she does turning the scion over, you’ll find your own way. I chip the bud off bringing the knife toward my hand. My knife is extremely sharp though. I mean deadly. I could shave my face easily with it or @wildforager beard, lol.

I’m used to dragging my knife toward my thumb though. that’s how I make my whip and tongue cuts. My knife rests at my thumb after I’ve cut my wedges on any type of cuts.

Dax

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3whSrfne9zM&t=7s

Missouri Department of Conservation offers seedlings of Cornus racemosa, C amomum, C drummondii, and C florida. Does anyone know if any of these are compatible with Cornus mas???

My t budded cornus mas are putting out shoots at a decent success rate this spring, so this seems like the way to go for summer grafting these guys.
One issue I did not anticipate was the snow crust pulling a few of the buds off, but not too surprising as they are protrude and are somewhat delicate. Next time I will try to protect the bud when I wrap it. Still got around 70% take.
I hope for some fruit from my older plants, many flowered 2 years after planting.

4 Likes

I did some tests too.
I managed to keep some fruit varieties with big yellow and red fruits.

3 Likes

I have seen a few questions regarding graft compatibility on this thread with no answers… Has anyone successfully tried grafting Cornus mas to other dogwood species? I have a beautiful well developed Cornus alternifolia I planted in my front yard which I would be very interested in top working to Cornus mas but I don’t want to waste my time. I’d imagine it would work but if anyone has experience please let me know!

I’m not super educated about Cornus mas yet, but I do know there are plenty of other dogwood species around me, some of which prefer wetlands and some like it dry, so from a rootstock perspective, knowing that we could graft to various other species could be very beneficial to increase adaptability of Cornus mas.

That being said, if anyone has scions from a good cultivar (or multiple cultivars) I’d be happy to trial them on the many available branches I have. PM me.

1 Like

Cornus phylogeny doen’t put alternifolia anywhere near in relation to Cornus mas. It looks to me like Cornus mas will successfully graft onto Cornus officinalis and Cornus chinensis maybe and possibly Cornus sessilis.

Then you gotta take vigor into account. An unmatch in vigor is going to produce a connection at the graft union that will be susceptible someday to snapping.

1 Like

Does Cornus mas reliably fruit in zone 8 or warmer?

I bet there are interstem options that I could work with. I’m too stubborn to start over with a new tree since I’ve had this one in ground for probably 6 years.

1 Like

Nope. I don’t see it, Ryan. Start (your) literature journey here, however :laughing: https://www.jstor.org/stable/3449074

This is one of the (better) phylogeny of any phylogeny I’ve looked at and I happen to enjoy looking at phylogeny charts:

And then this is the one I looked at to answer your question:

Geologically speaking, 6-65 million years ago isn’t too much time since they have diverged. I’m not saying I’ll be able to make it work, but we’re talking the same family here, and based on the second chart you showed, Blue fruited and cornelian cherries aren’t too far apart.

If you can graft aronia /pear /apple /hawthorn together and sometimes make it work, I would be interested in trialing dogwoods just for fun. I hack mine back to keep it short enough that it doesn’t steal sunlight from my solar panels each year anyway, so a few grafts on top of that won’t be too crazy.

Would C. alangium be the common ancestry?

1 Like

I have tried to graft cornus mas and grafting was successful.
This is my video how to graft cornus mas (veneer-side grafting technique).

And this is update video of that graft.

2 Likes

Yes C. alangium is the “group” I would call it for ALL of Dogwood.

Your read these things from left to right and you see that the “group” Alangium broke away and is the sole bracketed name for dogwood but that it has more in similarty with the nyssoids- than the next bracket below the Hydraneaceae “group”.

You should try grafting mas to alternifolia and I know you will. Report back, please! Do some bark grafting of course. That’ll provide the easiest takes on an older shrub/tree. The contact is so much better and the work being easier, as-well.

Dax

1 Like

I haven’t done a single bark graft yet, but I’ll surely be trying. Maybe Tom’s barn door is the best option for this task. I saw he will have scion material for a few Cornus mas too. Are they self fertile?

1 Like

If you find some Cornus Mas scion material let me know. I have a solo tree going on 7 years old. 3 mates never made it and I am looking to add to it.

1 Like

https://www.redfernfarm.com/index.php/product-category/scion-wood/

When it is in stock, I’ll tag you. Please do the same for me if you see it first!

Cornus mas is monoecious (both male and female flowers on the same plant).

1 Like

Yes but they are largely self-incompatible.

3 Likes

Okay, appreciate that! Didn’t know. They set fruit a ton better huh with more than 1 clone or seedling, right?

Barn door or bark it doesn’t make any difference. Barn door is a little more experience cutting I (may) think.

1 Like