Grafting grape cultivars onto wild grape. Is it possible?

Does anybody know? I have some extremely large wild grape vines, one with a trunk almost as thick as my thigh. If I could graft it over to a desirable variety that would be awesome!

I found this thread but no one seemed to say definitively whether it was possible or not.

1 Like

I believe it is possible, the wild grapes we have here in Missouri have been used for rootstock for vineyards. Unfortunately the neighbor removed all of the grapevines from the fence in the above photo so I was not able to try it in that instance. I have tried grafting grapes onto wild rootstock but I did not succeed yet. I don’t believe it is a compatibility issue, more a lack of the correct graft type at the right time.

2 Likes

I would like to know the names of those successful vineyards so I can contact them privately.
So far I have found nothing but am not discouraged from trying anyways… Really what I’m looking for is if anyone has done this successfully. I can not believe this has not been tried and documented in the past… It seems so common sense given the widespread nature of wild grapes!

I guess you and I are together on this huh? Hopefully we can pool our resources to both find success.

I have wild grape vines on my family property as well as an incredible amount of gigantic vines at my workplace, which is a retail nursery.

Hopefully we can figure this out eventually. I wholly intend to do some soft tissue “green” grafting of the grapes this year. We will see if I get around to it.

Next year in the spring I will try a few hardwood grafts of different types. If I have the time to read up on it, I’ll try budding.

I don’t know how to link it but if you google " how the ozarks saved the French wine industry ". You should find articles about a louse that was accidentally introduced into France in the late 1800’s. it came from America so wild American rootstock were sent to France since they were immune.

1 Like

I’m interested in trying to graft cultivated varieties on top of some mustang grape Vines I have growing wild on our property. You can make wine with mustang grapes but they are so acidic that you can barely eat them.

I have lots of wild grapevine here… several growing in trees or bushes in the edge of my woods… where they get enough sun to set fruit each year… but they hardly ever bear.

I would sure like to graft some of those over to varieties that are disease resistent and taste good.

The wild grapes when they do set fruit and ripen… they are very tart.