Grafting Jujube

I have some seedling rootstock. Would I do better to bench graft it or field graft when it is pushing some growth?

I cleft grafted all of my in-ground and usually let the rootstocks leafed out before I grafted them. I have not done any bench graft on them at all.

Tony

1 Like

You’d be better to bench graft if the roots aren’t already well established in the ground. Just to put a seedling in the ground and graft on it you lose quite a lot of control during the callousing period and the aftercare period. If you bench graft it, then you can put your grafts in a tall container so the entire graft including the scion is covered in a media such as peat moss… plus on bottom heat. It’s fine to not bury the rootstock and scion just so long as the roots are in media and on bottom heat. Just be sure the scion and graft union is waxed or parafilm has been applied. As soon as you see movement of the buds… move them (if necessary) where they will receive as much light as possible. During callousing no light is necessary.

Always stay on top of any growth occurring on the rootstock either at the time of grafting (rub off all the buds below the scion or any green growth) and throughout the healing process. If they’re buried, remove newly arising rootstock buds/growth whenever you can easily get at them, or after full callous has occurred.

Always stay on top of any type of growth the rootstock is producing: fresh buds or foliage; and remove anything as soon as you see it. You don’t want any energy going toward the roostock but instead you want it all going to the scion.

Hope this helps.

Dax

2 Likes

I have found jujube grafts to be some of the most reliable. I did several plant-and-grafts on them and all grafts took fine. Assuming the stocks have enough vigor I expect it will work OK. For most other types of fruits the plant-and-graft approach does not work as well.

1 Like