Grafting other sour citrus onto my Eureka Lemon?

I’d love to have a little production of calamansi, chinotto, and/or seville orange. Assuming that I can locate some budwood, would there be any problems with trying to graft some of these onto my eureka lemon (on semi-dwarfing rootstock)?

I suspect most citrus will graft ok to it though you may have long term viability issues, just don’t try grafting Kumquat or Limes to it.

Wasn’t planning to, but you’ve piqued my curiosity. Why not?

1 Like

Both Limes and Kumquats can be more picky about root stock compatibility than most other types of citrus. I know of one study that showed 100% failure of Kumquat within a year when grafted to trifoliate root stocks. Of course Eureka Lemon is not a trifoliate root stock, and they may do fine, as a bit more research shows that Eureka Lemon itself is only partly compatible with trifoliate root stocks with likely decline and failure after 10-15 years.

2 Likes

I “T” budded 4 kumquat buds to a rough lemon tree (Citrus jambhiri) about 18 months ago. All branches doing great so far. I’d give any citrus a try on Eureka, even knowing that it may not work. If it works out you will have a one of a kind tree in your collection!

Kumquat inverted “T” bud on rough lemon:

5 Likes

Thanks all. I’ll start asking around for budwood, but in the meantime I just bought some Seville oranges at the market (making some marmalade) and, man, do they have a lot of seeds! If I plant them, am I likely to get a Seville orange plant, or some random hybrid? Any tips on grafting from a seedling onto a mature citrus tree?

Chances are high that they will grow true to type

1 Like

It’s my understanding that quite a lot of the Seville Sour Orange grown (at least in AZ and CA) is from seed. They net the trees when flowering to keep it 100% sour orange, but still.

Why not Washington Navel? 100% seedless and very sweet and juicy.

“100% failure of Kumquat within a year when grafted to trifoliate”

I guess my nordman seedless kumquat of 5 years didn’t read that study

1 Like

Oh, I love a ripe, sweet Washington Navel, but I don’t get enough heat for them to develop well here; the ones I get at the store are better than any that I could grow.