Grafting over

First time I’ve done complete makeover with my apple trees. Uploading: 189CA297-4FC3-4004-8AF6-21E5D9F43647.jpeg…

7 Likes

Well which ever grafts do take care sure going to put on some serious growth

1 Like

Also I’d like to ask what variety was it and what variety is it now? What made you decide to make the change?

2 Likes

The original two varieties/cultivars were MacFree and UltraMac, ever since I first sampled a Cox Orange Pippin about 5 years ago I’ve wanted to have it again. These scions were collected from my small orchard, the trees up there were put backward because of rabbits girdling them.

1 Like

COP are among the best apples I’ve ever had. Only about three years into my experience with them, but so far, “Wow”.

1 Like

Hi Mark,
Is COP more a baking apple or for eating? I have Cortland which keeps well all winter and excellent baking, but also nice and crisp for eating.
Dennis
Kent, wa

I’ve never tried to bake with them - haven’t had enough to spare to try. I do like to bake with Calville Blanc. I think their greatest claim to fame is for eating out of hand.

2 Likes

I finally got a couple of Calville Blanc d’ Hiver’s this last year, Its size and shape were unusual and I found it a bit on the soft side for me but, it still was a pleasure to sample.

Very nice! Just did the same to a fig…

1 Like

I don’t think of CB as an eating apple, although it’s OK that way. Where it shines is in pies, tatrte tartin, baked apples and the like. I think that has something to do with an unusually high pectin content or some such, but don’t take that for gospel! :slight_smile:

I’m not too much into the baking thing and my wife isn’t either but, O, how I do love apple pie. My dear deceased Mom would make me a delicious apple pie for my birthday in the past.

1 Like

Before my Mom passed I had asked her if she could make a “ Tarte Tatin “ pie for me and she said I’m not to sure what it is lol… O, how I miss seeing her…

1 Like