Grafting roses

I have done some fruit tree grafting this year so my thoughts turned toward my roses. I have two roses in the front yard , one is a rootstock rose that came up after the grafted verity died. I have watched some videos and they mostly talk about t bidding roses. I clipped some stems off my pink rose that had tiny growth buds at the leaf joint and tried to bark graft them onto the rootstock rose like you would top a fruit tree. Most have died, two are still alive but have not grown. I found the bark difficult to cleanly seperate from the wood. Can any one give me some input on grafting roses

1 Like

Derby, @rayrose might be able to chime in on this. I believe he has a major interest in roses.

I’m sorry that I can’t offer any helpful input, myself. I just stopped to give him a shout out via a mention.

Bark grafting is never done on roses, because the bark is rarely thick enough. The following
link will give you the info you need.
http://www.gardenguides.com/107745-ways-graft-rose-bush.html?utm_source=popup&utm_medium=3

2 Likes

Update, I still don’t have any real growth on my grafts but some have been on there for a couple of weeks now and have not shriveled up. They still look good with buds that appear to be alive. I had only cut half of the original bush back and put grafts on. they looked like they had taken just not growing yet, so I cut the rest of the bush back and put more grafts on Wednesday evening. We had four inches of rain this week and it washed all of my latex caulk off so I reapplied it. It is hot and sunny today , I think I will put some foil over them to shade them.

Some of my rose grafts look like they are growing.

I think this has been great practice. You have to find dormant buds on growing plants, it really helps to make sense of some of the types of grafts you can do in the middle of summer. I would like to practice some w/t grafts on these roses, I don’t seem to be able to master that on trees yet. I think I let the scion slip out of line while I wrap it.

4 Likes

Follow up for this topic, I had one graft take and it bloomed yesterday. Wonderful scent, almost good enough to eat.

4 Likes

That’s a nice bloom. What variety is that?

I am sorry, I really don’t know. I took the scion from a rose that my grandpa planted in the local city park where he worked before he died. He planted a large rose garden there and I just picked ones that I liked the look or smell of.

Are any of the roses in the park labeled. If so, you might able to find out the variety you budded.

No , they didn’t have any labeles on them. I am not sure where he got all of the roses that he planted.

I would say this is ‘Yves Piaget’. Jason, is the original rose plant producing very large, and VERY VERY fragrant with picotee edge to the petals (which is what I’m seeing in your rose)? This is one of my very favorite top 10 roses. It’s size and fragrance is almost unmatched, even amongst David Austin roses known for their fantastic fragrance. Well done.

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.6650.0

3 Likes

Thanks for the link, yes the edges of the petals are almost white while the rest is hot pink. Today it’s scent has started to fade but still smells nice. The original rose plant had very small fragrant flowers but the rose garden has been neglected at the city park. The plants did not look very healthy.

Looks like my grafted rose made it through the winter fine. The graft Union looks to be getting stronger. It has a nice big bud that should make a beautiful fragrant rose soon.

2 Likes

This is my Yves Piaget on the right.

4 Likes

Very nice

My first rose of the summer from this plant. It smells so nice. I couldn’t help picking it for my wife this evening, I put it in a small vase and gave it to her for our Anniversary. To me it is so much more valuable than a rose from the flower shop.

3 Likes

Jason,
Did you use multiflora for the rootstock? Great looking rose! I’m really impressed. @rayrose those are wonderful looking roses in your picture. I love roses but am not very good at growing them.

No, I had a yellow rose that froze back to the ground one winter and came back from the commercial rootstock. I really struggled grafting it. I had one take out of ten grafts. I did save a couple of young multiflora roses last year and plan to attempt to graft them this summer.

1 Like

Let me know how it goes I would love to see a thread on grafting roses start to finish. We will count the rose hips as fruit :smile:

1 Like