Grafting Success

A friend of mine had a wild plum of some kind which neither flowered nor fruited. I grafted Flavor King on his tree a year ago and forgot (so did he). I had an epiphany this January and topped off the tree. The graft was alive without any care and in total shade. It is now exploding in growth! I’m just now starting my orchard in my new(er) house.

17 Likes

Which varieties are you going to plant? How big is the planting area of your yard?

Very nice! Glad to see it is making it :+1:

1 Like

My house sits on about 11,000 sq feet but it is a corner lot and I lose a lot of space because of its orientation.

I plan to plant 4 fruit trees in this side of the backyard.

Half of my backyard has a steep slope. I’ll put in four 4’X8’ vegetable boxes up against the wall and about 5 fruit trees uphill.

The front yard is a mess but I think I can squeeze in 4 more fruit trees there. This part is not visible from the front door so wife approves my plan!

8 Likes

Good planning Vinod, best of luck! Your yard looks very nice by the way…

2 Likes

I had to take out a dying mature peach where I grafted your Arctic Jay and Honey Blaze. I grafted them on some puny Lovell seedlings

6 Likes

Looks great Vinod :+1: Hope you have much success in the new home!

1 Like

One of my pear grafts is started to bust out!

And another coming along as well

4 Likes

where did you get Lovell seedlings?

Burntridge nursery

2 Likes

Life. Death. Renewal. Our young Karmijn de Sonnaville broke off last summer, but I salvaged some scionwood and grafted two buds on a G11 rootstock. This spring the buds emerged into beautiful young leaves.

4 Likes

I was lucky enough that I saw when one of the local nursery guys posted his leftover root stocks from his grafting class! I bought and grafted 15 trees! This is Alaska so they are still taking their sweet time waking up.

I figure I would do a bunch for the practice and to account for failures. If even half of them make it I’m going to have to scramble :smiley:

2 Likes