Grafting the tiny wood from from the grocery store

OK, I went to the grocery store. This rarely happen, but I found some tiny branches on the mandarins. I decided to graft them onto my trees. It’s cold around this time of year. I know it’s not the best time to graft, but saving those tiny sticks for more favorable condition is not an option considering that they are not the freshest and their energy is very limited. It’s more like a lottery play.

Have anybody try this before and if so, was your grafting successful?
There are five sticks from my loot. Graft method: Whip 4, cleft 1, and bud 2. Wish me luck.

10 Likes

Good luck.

3 Likes

I think @swincher had success a few years ago!

3 Likes

I did try both grafting and rooting them, and oddly enough the grafts all failed, but one of the cuttings rooted. Here’s the thread for that:

I planted that clone out this fall and so far it’s happy and healthy despite many mild frosts and a couple brief freezes down to 28°F.

7 Likes

What was the name of the mandarin you purchased?

2 Likes

This is one of my grocery store sourced material graft. I believe it’s type of Satsuma Mandarin orange because it usually comes with some stem attached. The scion size was not tiny, just short. Good luck with your experiment and let us know how it turns out.

8 Likes

When you compare to pencil size, they are 1/3 size of it. To me, short and tiny. All graft is field grafted. They are out in the environment. Slow to heal, I expect in March or April for them to leaf out even survive.
My girl say it’s a Satsuma. I read it’s honey something something. If it does not work, then it does not matter. OK, let you guys know if it will work out.

5 Likes

I also purchased some mandarins from the store that had a short stem on it so I will be grafting it. This one was called Sugar Gem mandarin, it tastes very sweet, maybe sweeter than Sumo. I have many Satsuma fruits on the trees now but this one from the store seems to be the sweetest for me.

1 Like

Will your graft by outside or inside protected from the environment? The more people like us try, the more we can figure it out if it’s worth our time.

Love orange and the Vitamin C. Mandarin are small and easy to peel. That’s their appeal and you can just finish one easily because they are so small.

I have a navel orange tree and the neighbor have their. My navel orange tasted a whole different levels from their. I went through the neighbor tasting navel oranges and none tasted like my tree. It came with the house, so I don’t know what it is. When it’s ripe and when you peel it there is no way your hands don’t get wet. Super sweet and juicy.

2 Likes

I went back and bought a couple of mandarin in the bin. This time I read the label. It’s listed as Satsuma. However, the oranges don’t look the same. One of them is round and very orange color. The other one (Sumo) have a hump, different color, and bigger. They have a different taste. The smaller one was very easy to peel. You can peel the whole thing in one go and a lot more taste. So, they combine the mandarin in one bin. Anyway, found a nice size branch on the Sumo. About half a pencil size. I grafted it on the tree today along with pink flesh grapefruit and unknown small orange or it can be another mandarin. Only the Sumo is from the store, the other one are freshly cut from the tree.

3 Likes