Grafting thread 2021

Walnut onto black walnut

6 Likes

Persimmon

9 Likes

I brought with me from our previous home ten Jefferson filberts from last years air layers. All my other varieties came as scions and were grafted onto tops of the Jeffersons. Grafted Yamhill, Theta, York, and a wild hazel for pollination. Doing well as of now.

13 Likes

That’s a newer idea to me, I have questions too! What brand do you use, and where do you source it? A quick search shows many “air dry” clays available. This would lead me to believe there is a contraction in the material which could cause cracks and allow moisture into the graft in extremely dry/sunny conditions for extended periods. Did you use something else that is re-usable (i.e. not hardening) or just the standard air dry type clay? Also have you tried this out in the past with continued success?

Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

Aaand the bunnies nipped the tops off a few days after this picture. Fortunately, there are still some buds on the sticks that seem to be waking up now. I promptly caged this pear when I discovered this.

1 Like

I just thought, I would share some grafting pictures from this year. The first is a 40 year old apple tree, I cut down about 1 1/2 years ago, and It sprouted back again. All 4 grafts took.

Pears grafted on my 3 Kieffer pears.

Pears grafted on my Cleveland Select pear tree. (just for fun)

Red Winesap grafted in my back yard

More Red Winesap grafts along the fence row. I missed on one limb.

Grafted plums, sweet treat plurrey, and apricots to my 2 each flower plums in the front yard. I had some that did not take, so I had some scions left over in the fridge. I restructured the trees, and re grafted about 3 days ago. It is a little late, but the temp forecast is suppose to be in the low 60’s this week. I thought it was worth a try. I want to thank Bart for the scions he sent me on this project.

11 Likes

I use it for the 2-nd year and the results are excellent. I kind of new that plasticine had been used for grafting by soviet nurseries back in the day.

2 Likes

I buy plasticine that art collage students use (it doesn’t harden and can be reused)
Last year’s grafts took 99%. I’ll take photos of them this weekend.
I’m not in US.
Here is a photo of it.

15 Likes

Brilliant. I’m trying it.

2 Likes

Just apply some pressure on it and also smudge the edges nicely so air and water don’t penetrate the graft. I don’t tighten with elastic bands or ropes. When the grafts get too big (some can reach over 3 ft in couple of months) I prune them about half the length so that strong winds don’t brake the graft union.

4 Likes

I will check with my artsy friends and see if I can source something locally. I’m sure Amazon has it but I’m trying to limit that avenue personally when possible. Thank you for sharing! You might have started a new American trend!

5 Likes

First time grafting anything ever. 100% take on 70 apples. Interstemmed half of them. M111/B9

I took all the nurse branches off today since I have full bud. Too late to undo it now, but anyone see any problems with that?

12 Likes

Is it still possible to graft scion to fully leafed trees into Late May? I would like to graft different variety of cherry scion to have pollination. I also need to attempt a few bridge grafts. I have some diseased branches I want to lop off and would prefer to add scions on the remaining branch, rather than do a bud graft.

Ryan, here are photos of some of the trees grafted last year using plasticine

11 Likes

Where the large cuts were made, will they eventually rot leaving a hollow tree?

1 Like

I’ll apply wax on them and the new branches will eventually cover all that surface in few years.

1 Like

Those grafts look great! It looks like you did remove most of the plasticine already?

2 Likes

Thanks. Now n then I remove it, but most of the time I just leave it as is. It will fall off sooner or later anyway.

2 Likes

Not that I am trying to be “cheap” (more just curious), when you get a chance to remove it, is it in a serviceable state that you could re-use it for another graft? If so it would be one of the few disposable items for grafting that could be recycled. q

1 Like

Yes it can be reused, but it’s easier to buy it.

2 Likes