Grafting thread 2021

A few persimmons

17 Likes

You have the magic touch!!!

4 Likes

A bunch of those are yours!

3 Likes

11 sugar cane/honey jar grafts done tonight on one jujube. At least one of each has to take on one tree right? Round 2 on the other rootstock tomorrow night.

14 Likes

Your dog needs treats and is confused as to why you are so proud right now and not making with the snacks

Great picture and nice grafts!

5 Likes

One of my more unusual grafts. Sweet cherry on peach with a little interstem of Adara

10 Likes

Walnut patchbud that I did last august and that survived the winter. One out of three, the scions were really thin and not well developed

8 Likes

I wanted to report my grafting successes - and failures - for my First Spring Grafting Experience

When it was all said and done - I added 62 grafts to my Pears. Apples. Plums/Peaches/Nectarines.
All of the Apples and Pears took - except one stinker. The stone fruit success rates were not as strong. I had 10 duds, and removed them yesterday. There are still many that are going strong and I hope they will keep ‘going’. That was exciting to see. :grin:

With the stone fruit, it seemed that the more substantial the scion - the better they did. I was afraid, when grafting, that the larger ones might not take . . . but it was the exact opposite. More cambium to make contact, I suppose.

I made an early BooBoo when grafting to my 2 dwarf apples. I grafted way far out on the ends of a couple of long (but strong) branches. I may have to do follow-up surgery next spring and remove those. They’ve filled out and are ‘waving dangerously’ in the breeze. I’ve staked them, but are pretty sure they will have to be sacrificed next year. That’s OK. I hedged my bets and grafted several of those varieties throughout the orchard.

12 Likes

I don’t know when I’ll have time to take a full count…but I’m guessing around 135 of 145 apple grafts have taken…and around 50 to 60% of the pear grafts. And a 3 or 4 probably still come to life.

4 Likes

I grafted some plums in early April. Normally I do them later.

Some of them I did to St. Julian suckers that I transplanted this winter, without a lot of roots. A pluot and pluerry on one of them only just now started breaking bud after showing no signs of anything for 5+ weeks.

In retrospect, I bet if I’d grafted them 3 weeks later they would have leafed out at the same time and have born less risk of failing. The ones I tried to side graft into my peach trunk failed. Maybe they’d have had a better chance if I’d waited longer.

This Brooks graft into the trunk of my tall gage plum was also done about 5 weeks ago. Looks like a take - but probably done too soon. At least the bark was clearly slipping when I did it.

13 Likes

@murky what grafting technique is that brooks on gage pun?

On my topworked trees, the scions begin to wake up. I’m so exited!

7 Likes

@Oepfeli
“ wet ballastoff binding ?”
welche Faserbindung?
What type of binding fiber ?

1 Like

I guess a lateral bark graft or side graft depending on who you ask.

Kind of like this guy, but please don’t use the knife the way he does:

Or our Skillcult: Tips for Frankentreeing and Framework Grafting Apple Trees — SkillCult

2 Likes

What is that green stuff?

Doc Farwells heal and seal. I think it’s tougher than the grafting seal. Probably not the best choice for covering the buds, but they did make it through.

I’d use the grafting seal next time, yellow. I put modeling clay first to fill the gaps.

1 Like

It’s raffia.

1 Like

I don’t see any problem concerning his knife skills.

Nor do I they are much better than mine!
I manage to cut my thumb almost every time I graft but the grafts take Maury every it’s the added iron from the blood

3 Likes

Neither do I, JSacadura is very very knowledge and skilled. A source of knowledge and kind to share is knowledge to us.
Thank you @Jsacadura :slight_smile:

3 Likes