Grafting time for pecans!

I see new growth 2 to 4 inches long on most seedlings, we have had abundant rain, and temps are in an acceptable range. I’m going to set a few grafts tomorrow.

Anyone else ready to graft pecans?

1 Like

I grafted some about a month ago before they came out of dormancy, and the Creek you shared about two weeks ago with active growth on tree. One of the first grafts is showing some growth, the other ones still look healthy and I’m confident that most will take. I might have grafted them too early since the bark would not peel off that easy. The last ones yes.

This one pushed and dried, then pushed again, and It looks like it’s going to make it.

I’m ready, but biding my time, a bit yet.
33F and a pretty heavy frost here this morning, but by the end of week, we may be in a reasonable temperature range to consider trying a few.

I waited a few days for perfect grafting weather. We had temps around 72F most of today with overnight low forecast of 60F. We also had very light sprinkling rain most of the afternoon. Soil moisture is high from rain a few day ago. Seedling growth is from 1 to 6 inches and the bark is slipping. Lows in the mid 60’s and highs in the mid 80’s are forecast for the next 4 days. This rings all the bells for near perfect pecan grafting conditions. I made grafts of these 17 varieties using either bark graft or whip & tongue depending on rootstock size.

A.C.E.
Amling
Apalachee
Cherryle
Elliott
Excel
Gafford
Huffman
Kanza
Kiowa
Lakota
McMillan
Nacono
Oconee
Sumner
Syrup Mill
Tobacco Barn

I still have 7 more varieties to graft, may be able to finish up tomorrow.

2 Likes