Grafts seem to be not taking

Hi Bob,
I have used up all my scion wood.
I you have any, I would love some. What varieties do you have?
I would love a chance to try again
Thanks

Send me a PM and we can discuss all the details. I know I have some wood from ARS and probably another half dozen varieties. Just apples, right?

Thanks to BobVance, I got another chance at grafting this season. I hope itā€™s not too late.
I did all my grafts today. This time I used parafilm and coated any exposed surfaces with toilet ring wax.
I also did more of a variety of methods this time just to see what works for me. I mostly did single cleft grafts and some double clefts. I did a few whip and tongues and one saddle graft (like Stephen Hayes)
I donā€™t think I will be doing anymore saddle grafts. Kind of a dangerous one.
Hope it works this time.

1 Like

Good luck, I hope they do well for you.

@ribs1 Yay!

@BobVance So generous!

For some encouragement: Bob shared a pear scion of Fondante de Moulin-Lille with me in late spring. My first batch of grafts failed during a bout of dry heat here in May. I kept the leftover budwood in the frig and re-grafted just a few weeks ago. I pruned the host tree to give the grafts apical dominance, and lightly fertilized the tree. We got ample rain here the past few weeks, and my ā€œlateā€ grafts took! Without a doubt, I can see they are growing out very well.

Thanks @BobVance !

Good luck @ribs1 !

2 Likes

Hello,
Just looking for some more advise. I grafted last week and used parafilm on all my grafts. It seems like itā€™s tough to wrap the grafts really tight with that stuff. Should I go over the graft unions with rubber bands?

Also, how long does it usually take to start seeing growth?
Thanks

I like to wrap the scion with pre-stretched parafilm (single layer so that buds can break through), before making the graft. After inserting the scion to the host branch, I tie it tightly with non-sticky garden tape. Rubber bands could probably serve the same purpose. After the tape, I cover the union with a layer of parafilm to ensure complete coverage.

Most grafts start to show growth somewhere between 10 and 20 days. Iā€™ve seen a few which took over a month- I think 1.5 months was the record.

Glad Fondante de Moulin-Lille took for you Matt. It was great last year (1st fruiting for me) and Iā€™m looking forward to a larger crop this fall.

2 Likes

Bob,

Today, I removed the tape on my FdM-L rind graft (top of photo). Better late than never. It has grown a ton and looks great.

3 Likes

Wow, your label looks better than my tool embossed ones. I canā€™t write that neatly on graph paper.

2 Likes

I was just going to comment on how great those labels look. Did you just fill in the impression with a sharpy? Iā€™m curious how long the blue will last. Not that it will matter since they are inscribed but they are certainly eye catchingā€¦

Jafar,

Itā€™s a co-benefit of my obsessive-compulsive neurosis.

2 Likes

Like @Drew51 said: The blue ink eventually wears off, but the copper remains engraved and can be legible for decades.

Just a ball-point pen. The ink is all over my hands!

2 Likes

They look great @Matt_in_Maryland. Is that copper as well as copper wire? Iā€™ve been using aluminum from drink cans but the shiny surface and graphics on one side are pretty noticeable. I see yours are still shiny too though. If itā€™s copper, do they blend in well once tarnished?

Yeah. Read all about it:

@Drew51 turned me on to these copper wire tags.

Thanks @Matt_in_Maryland. I found @Drew51ā€™s comment about keeping them shiny to scare away animals interesting. Any idea if this worked Drew? I can say that the aluminum ones I used are still pretty shiny but it didnā€™t seem to bother the squirrels at all.

It might dissuade the more skiddish birds.

Iā€™m out of town, working on my cottage. I have yet to try keeping them shiny. Left alone they blend in too much, hard to see. I still like them. Doing any gardening this last month has been difficult. No end in sight of the work here. I wonā€™t be around much this fall.