Grafts took, now aren’t poised to grow much

My peach grafts took, but the growth mostly looks like spur-Type growth, i.e. just a clump of leaves with no length. What gives?

3 Likes

My Redhaven looked like that until a few days ago, then started to grow a stem. Not sure if it’s the warmer temps, the little dose of fertilizer I gave it, or just that sufficient time had elapsed. It’s the only successful peach graft under my belt, so I don’t have much to compare to.

3 Likes

There seems to be a differentiation now. This shoot fell apart:
Two days ago.

Now.

Others are really taking off.image image

1 Like

Should I replace this parafilm? The callousing Split it.

Callousing isn’t pretty, but this scion has the most vigorous growth.

1 Like

If the graft is going strong like that I don’t worry about the parafilm splitting. On the other hand if it is struggling I may re-wrap it.

Peaches sometimes grow for a bit, then stall and may die. This is especially common if there is competition, either from other grafts or if it is too low on the tree. This year I did most of my peaches on young seedlings so there was no competition, and none have stalled… either they made it or they did not.

So one of the scions that only made a “spur” is now extending from a lower bud.

1 Like

I have a couple of Opal plum grafts doing that, but I think some of the lower buds were damaged by disease. I shout have used an antifungal sooner. No shoots yet, but I will try my luck with gibberellic acid treatments. I am hoping it will jumpstart the growth.

1 Like

A ‘Hawaii’ Apple is doing the same thing. Looks like it’s only growing a spur.

1 Like

This apple scion is on the highest branch on the tree, too. It’s a Frankentree.