Grandpa's Orchard

Glenglo comes off patent on Feb 18, four days to go! :wink:

I really appreciate someone from the company chiming in. Thank you for your response. I’m sure they are nice, tall, thick trees with great roots on them. The prices for the trees themselves are very competitive. But, at $46 for a couple trees, I just can’t swing that. I wish I lived closer, so I could just come by and pick them up.

But, like Chris said, hopefully in the future, things might be different.

1 Like

We have noticed that USPS has been cheaper that UPS or fedex for almost 85% of our shipments. Just and FYI as maybe it might be an option.

Unfortunately USPS is not very dependable where I live. SpeeDee is cheaper but they still dont cover the area where I live either.

USPS has been delivering all my Amazon Prime orders and they’ve been quite reliable surprisingly. They even deliver on Sundays. Something I never thought I’d hear was USPS delivering on Sunday.

USPS blows away UPS here. UPS runs to the porch an throws the package, and runs back to the truck. USPS carrier chats with me all the time.
Once I ordered some mugs, and after UPS breaking them two times, the company sent USPS, and all was fine.

All the shipping companies over the last 4 years ± have gone up dramatically. I do some ebay selling and also on another site. The items that used to cost about $6-9 to ship from one coast to another ( as an example) now costs me $15-17 for shipping the same item. Even with the ebay shipping discounts it is a lot more expensive. My USPS carrier I have is HORRIBLE. I wish I had your carrier Drew51.

1 Like

My USPS carrier puts mail in the mailbox on top of what I’m mailing ( flag up) sometimes. I find the unsent mail later when I look through what was delivered. They deliver my mail to neibhors and lose my packages. Ups and fedex are far superior in my area! Mail in my area is iffy at best so maybe it will get there and maybe it won’t. I take my packages and envelopes to a box in a larger town and send them with better results if I need to make sure it gets there. You would never guess I pay them for this service.

3 Likes

Sounds like your USPS carrier and mine must be related. Mine went speeding past my place last Saturday, shortly after I had received a “sorry we missed you, we tried to deliver a package but you weren’t home” message from Amazon. We get the neighbor’s mail, they get ours. The carrier will leave the mailbox door ajar and the mail will get wet with rain and snow.

I never mail anything from my mailbox, I take everything to town.

2 Likes

Yep mine leaves the mailbox door wide open and especially during storms. Every few years my mailbox gets bashed with everyone else’s but I pound my $10 mail box back out. Last time they hit all the boxes with a combine and plowed them over but not my box when they hit it you could see they then had to back up and go around. My post is Osage orange because termites can’t eat those off.

5 Likes

Wow, surprising to me, in some ways. I would complain to death. Supervisors love to have reasons to ride carriers. In another way not surprising, a great example of Government work. You want something not to be done, or done half-ass if at all. Let the government employee do it. No vested interest, paid no matter what. Can’t be fired.
Note I was a government employee for 8 years, I worked for the state and the Federal Government. Not sure which was worse?

2 Likes

They’re lucky to keep rural route carriers around here. Think I’ve had 6-8 different carriers in the 4 1/2 years I’ve lived here. Post Master is just happy they have a warm body to deliver most of the mail on a somewhat daily/somewhat accurate schedule.

1 Like

Rural carriers are paid less, and are not bonded beyond the vehicle. Yeah they get ripped off compared to city carriers.

Here that work would be no problem, they pay over 20 bucks an hour, nobody leaves that job. So that is extremely surprising. They must pay rural people a lot less. Although wages are consistent throughout the USA. So I don’t get it? It’s a union job.
I looked it up and the average pay for rural carriers is $17.00. That’s low. seems that wages have gone down. I worked for a post office and they paid me 20 bucks an hour in 1985.

1 Like

My understanding is that rural carriers are essentially “sub contractors”…not federal employees. You pay your dues as rural carrier, then try to get into the USPS as a regular full time employee. I believe rural carriers make around $14 an hour…which is quite a bit less than a guy can make at the meat processing or rendering plants in town.

1 Like

Not where I worked, we had 7 of them and they were federal employees. I talked to them daily for years.The rural carriers did not want to become city carriers, they would have to reapply as the testing is different. They did not require any uniform. City and rural carriers have different unions too. I worked there 8 years. They do hire temp workers for both rural and city delivery, mostly for city delivery. Temps makes $14 an hour,

1 Like

Well, you certainly would know more about the inner workings of the USPS than would I. All I know is…mine have sucked for 4.5 years and not a one has been someone I want responsible for making sure my bills/letters get to their destinations.

3 Likes

Does my USPS carrier work in your area too? I get the same thing. He puts “sorry we missed you” slip of paper in my mailbox even though I was home all day long. He leaves the door on my street mailbox open when it rains, snows, and wind storms. I end up laying the wet mail out to dry or go around my neighborhood picking up my mail. I had to get a PO Box to keep my important mail from being lost or getting into the wrong hands. I’ve complained over and over again and it still happens. I d like you and I always mail everything from the actual post office.

2 Likes

I lost one package last year, not that bad. Sorry to hear all of this. You should not have to put up with it. You mentioned the Post Master, and you’re probably right about employees, they hire only temps these days. It may explain the situation for many.
The Post Master has to follow the company line. It’s disheartening as it used to be one government agency that worked OK, better than most. It now sounds like that is over, a real shame. I had to leave due to physical limitations that happened to me due to a head on crash i was in. It took years to recover and I had to resign. As I’m unable to do that job anymore. I went into business for myself. I also am of the ilk, that you don’t do something, unless you do it right. I delivered to a senior citizen assisted living high rise apartment. I used to take all packages they needed mailing, and mail them for the seniors. I was not required to, but most it would be a huge burden for them. So I would return change, or leave a postage due envelope for them to pay me.
Once on a route on April 16th I noticed that the collection box was not picked on April 15th. I could tell from the large volume in it. I looked through the letter and found two to the IRS. I pulled them out and when I returned and asked the clerk to date letters the 15th, as it was our mistake, they did mail on time. And many of my colleges were just like me., So hearing these stories is sad, as where I worked, it was nothing like that at all. We had pride and wanted to help customers and keep our business customers happy as we possibly could.

1 Like

Are you on a rural route? If so rural carriers are not required to bring package to door. They can be fired if they do. They can beep the horn for you to come out, or they can just leave a slip for you to pick it up. They are not bonded outside the car, if they open the car door and are hit the Post Office will not cover them.
City carriers are fully bonded.

1 Like

Same here, and we don’t really have bad delivery people, but I still wouldn’t put outgoing into the box, and we have a POBox for important stuff

1 Like