Grape bud grafting

Hi all,im new to this forum.my question is this,ìve purchace a grape vine and asked for a hanepoot cultivar. They gave me a grape vine with this label on it,scoin is;muscat ď alexandri ,clone is; hp288,rootstock is ;ramsey,then clone again is sc1bae.my question ,is there some one who can explain this kind of crafting?
or simplify it so that i could understand how this work.

1 Like

I don’t know the specifics of those varieties, but if I understand correctly, you asked for Hanepoot, which they gave you labeled as Muscat de Alexandria, which Google says is correct. They grafted that variety onto a rootstock. From there I don’t understand what you are saying when you say clone again and so on. I have no idea what the Rameses sc1bae stuff is referring to.

2 Likes

Grapes have lots of clones of a specific variety or rootstock. All the clones are for instance Muscat of Alexandria but they have a different history or origin and so might differ in certain characteristics. M9 apple rootstock is like that also, many clones. The clones differ in such things as virus load which affects the degree of dwarfing. A commonly used rootstock is M9-337. Rootstocks for Apple | WSU Tree Fruit | Washington State University

3 Likes