Grapes fruiting 15 months after planting

They were in a pot for a year. Planted in ground this winter.

8 Likes

Nice. What variety?

1 Like

Summer Muscat and Summer Royal are the big plants. Diamond Muscat and two I got from Richard are smaller with little to no fruit.

5 Likes

Congrats!

Are all of the leaves on the vine in the back reddish? Or just the older ones?

2 Likes

That’s the Summer Royal. It had that issue when I had the variety from another source many years ago.

It’s just the older leaves. But none are very old and I’ve got 6 months of warmth to go. At one point I thought it was a virus. Not sure about that. Any ideas?

1 Like

My initial thought was virus too, since leaf roll symptoms are almost identical, but it’s a little early in the season. Usually symptoms don’t start until after the fruit starts coloring up.

I’m thinking it could be potassium deficiency. Some varieties are more susceptible than others, and symptoms typically start around flowering in the older leaves. In red varieties, the interveinal areas of the leaves will often turn red before going brown and crunchy. You could try adding some high potassium fertilizer and see if it makes a difference.

4 Likes

I’ll try that even though my soil tests very high in K, 600 ppm. I’ve got some KSO4 I’m applying to my banana.

I don’t remember the leaves turning crispy. But this is worse that the earlier plant.

2 Likes

Where I am, in years with cool springs it’s common to get a transient K deficiency that corrects itself later in the season due to an inability of the roots to take up K when transpiration is low even though the soil K is adequate. That may be what you are seeing. Some rootstocks and varieties are more prone to this than others. In these cases, a foliar application seems to help more than applying to the soil. Do the red leaves persist throughout the season or do they turn green later?

2 Likes

It continues to get worse as the season progresses. I believe the leaves get to full size green. Then turn red from the inside to outer edge of the leaf. I could be wrong about that. I’ll look at them better. I’ve been ignoring it hoping it doesn’t matter.

1 Like

I had it backward. New leaves are clean. Then they turn red with interior last to stay green.

2 Likes

I do see a bit of necrosis around the veins. So it could be potassium deficiency. But the development pattern and intensity of color does look like leafroll virus as well, despite the earliness of symptoms. You mentioned that a previous plant of this variety had the same symptoms. Was this plant from the same material or is it completely unrelated?

2 Likes

I’m not sure about source. But I doubt they were the same. I like Summer Royal. I may try another source. Maybe Double A if they have it.

1 Like

You can try getting it from Foundation Plant Services. Their mission is to supply nurseries and wineries with clean propagation material, but they do sell to anyone, although I have not tried to get material from them.

I would be interested to see if applying potassium makes any difference though, should you decide to try it.

2 Likes