Grapes - U. Arkansas vs. Reliance

How is the yield from your Jupiter vine.

I’m really only familiar with the PD resistant wine grapes from UC Davis. They have very strong resistance to PD from a wild collected vine with V. arizonica and V. girdiana ancestry but no resistance to the other grape diseases since they were bred for the California wine industry. They could be valuable as breeding material though for introducing PD resistance without compromising fruit quality too much since they are almost pure vinifera.

1 Like

Mine has been slow growing since it is on a steep hill and dries out quickly so it’s probably not a good sample. I don’t get much harvest but it’s not much worse than my other grapes on the same hill.

Thanks, I got a cutting and wanted to train it as high cordon. How compact or running the vines, assuming the spur is at 6 ft, do they grow falling down to the ground.

Jupiter seems to be pretty vigorous in the PNW. I planted one in late May, 2022; and by the end of last year it had grown up to a wire at 10’ high and along the wire for over 6’. And that was after ripening two small bunches of grapes on lower arms.

1 Like

We have reliance and we really like it. It has after-taste hints of strawberry. We got it from Jung Seeds. They sent us wrong orders in the past, so it could be something else other than reliance! It does not produce much and is not vigorous. We also have sommerset that is much more vigorous. It tastes as sweet as Reliance, but with fewer tropical hints. There are sometimes tiny seeds. We live in zone 5a.

1 Like

I have a seedless concord…best I remember from Starks… 15 or so years ago.

The fruit is seedless… but it always makes small clusters of fruit and the grapes themselves are smallish.

Flavor is very intense (not like any grocery store grape I ever had) and nice and sweet.

My birds love them… and will eat every one… if I dont bag them.

A cluster does not ripen all fruit on that cluster at the same time… some ripen before others… so I never get a big harvest all at once… but instead i get small harvest… several times over almost a month.

I am not duplicating these at our new home place… leaving them behind. I have 2 muscadines at my new home site. Isons and Oh My.

2 Likes

@fruitnut I have Everest. It does taste like Concord. Maybe not 100% but really close, like 95%. Seedless and a little bigger. Nice grape, but still slipskin. I’m planting more of them this year.

@kiwinut I’ve heard of concentrated metyl anthranilate being sprayed to repel birds, but the grapes themselves don’t repel birds. My Concord Grapes get decimated by birds as bad as cherries do. They will eat every single grape if not protected, and leave a pile of grape skins under the vine.

1 Like

I have a reliance grape. It is seedless, sweet with arom of rose/Muscat. Most years, squirrels, birds and wasps harvested for me, but some years I bagged them and picked them when they turned light purple and soft , fully ripe. The best taste grapes I ever have. I also tried Jupiter which has similar aroma. I like the flavor too. The grape size is a little bigger but it is not as hardy as reliance and less diseases resistant

2 Likes

where are you located in PNW? can you post a picture of two of your vine to help me design the support structure.

I’m in a suburb of Vancouver, BC. I could send pictures of the support structure, but it is just six horizontal wires between the posts that hold up our second story deck. I attached vertical bamboo poles to the wires at each vine location for supporting the single main trunk. Obviously this won’t work unless you plan to locate your grapes along a high deck.

1 Like

Thanks, that will be very helpful. I was thinking doing a wire trellis or attaching steel brackets to the external wall siding.

1 Like