Great Sunchoke Experiment

I read recipes for Sunchoke wine. How did that taste?

I used Jack Keller receip. His receip seems reliable and works for me.
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/request157.asp

It should be pretty bland in flavor and aroma, like vodka. however, I added spice into the must. Now the wine has little clover, anis, and earthy aroma. Not very strong alcohol smell like brandy or vodka has

This is my remaining sunchoak. It is I believe the white type though I preferred the red. The old trash can has plenty of holes at the bottom and is filled with old broken down died wood chip mulch toped with a bag topsoil. Looking forward to seeing what I get. I will have to find a red type to replant next year.

Looks like you have papaya tooπŸ˜€

yea oops, babaco

The Wind toppled my sunchoak and before I stood it back up i discoverd they where bursting out the bottom. Buckets have to be the best way to grow choaks by far. Only wish I had saved a Red skined.

Jerusalem Artichoke and Groundnut (Hopniss)

While I am pleased. The yield is actuly quite a bit less then the previous years 5 gallon grow bags. I feel the tubers developed more fully. Based on the observation that the majority of tubers formed at the bottom of the trash can. I concluded that Tuber formation starts when the roots meet resistance. Growing in 5 gallon bags in NJ yield a full bag but since they got over crowded the could not all fully develop. Moving to a 10 gallon bag i think would maximize my output. At the same time if you where a zone or 2 warmer you might maximize on a 15 or 20 gallon bag.

I still perfer the shape of the Red Tubers I had previously and while I do not have that cultivar, I did purchuse some generic reds from wholefoods I will plant out into this trash can. I will also plant a few of the white roots and and Red roots in this can. I also intend to top this can with a bag of dehydrated horse manure.

I am changing a lot of variables this year but my goals to discover are. Do the also form there tubers at the bottom. If not then does a mixed planting improve yield by filing the space more. Does fertalizer improve yields.

i got reds and whites in a raised bed as well as ground nuts. put in last fall and mulched with chic bedding. anxious to see how they do.

Change of plans. I bought some grocery store reds. instead of reusing my trash can full of leaf I combined it with several bags of potting soil to fill my new grow bags.