Green jujubes

Bought it from a local Asian market. $4.99 per lb. these five are about a lb. so, it A jujube a dollar. The biggest one is only 3.6 oz.

Comparing to apples, this thing is expensive.

1 Like

I think those Indian Jujube seeds are viable. Try to grow them in pots. They are not Winter hardy. They are not as sweet as the Chinese Jujubes.

Tony

those are quite popular in tropical taiwan. How do you like the taste?

they grow those in israel too, and is also being promoted in certain tropical and subtropical regions of asia/africa, where drought and poor soil cannot support other fruit trees. Reportedly tolerates soil pH at a whopping 9.2, just when we thought the chinese jujube was awesome at 8.4

like chinese jujubes, there are multitudes of so-so varieties, but the few which are excellent are worthy of consideration

I bought them from a Patel Brothers store. Not sure what country these jujubes were grown.

The friut was crunchy and juicy but mostly bland. Jujubes I have had in Thailand usually much paler green when ripe and definitely tastier ( hope I don’t sound like a homer :slight_smile:

probably florida key/caribbean isles

A co-worker knows I like jujubes and bought a couple when she was shopping at an Indian grocery store. This was the first time I’ve sampled Indian jujubes.

At first, I thought she had the wrong fruit- not only are they quite large, it looks very much like a plum. Even when cut, it looks a bit like a plum, other than the white flesh. The other difference is the pit- on first glance it looks like a plum, but once you’ve separated it out, it is cylindrical, rather than flattened.

The smell is also a bit like a grocery store (under-ripe) plum. The taste was more like a crisp, juicy, slightly bland pear. The brix was underwhelming at 9.

I kept the pits and cracked them this afternoon. Just one (the smaller pit) had a seed, which I may plant, just out of curiosity. I’m guessing that it won’t germinate, since the fruit was picked so green.

2 Likes

Bob,
Those are one of a few varieties we have in Thailand. @jujubemulberry gpave me the botanical name once and I promptly forgot :grin:

We have round ones, oblong ones, large ones, tiny ones. On average, they are much bigger than my Shanxi Li which is considered big for jujubes.

They are mostly crunchy, juicy but not very sweet. It does not have the dryness or aftertaste that jujube/Chinese dates have. I like them mildly sweet like that because we have so many very sweet fruit already.

1 Like

I think the Indian Jujube is called Ziziphus mauritiana.

I bet that they would be better if they were just a bit sweeter (maybe 12?). Then, they would almost be like watermelon. I don’t think even Fruitnut has watermelon at 20 brix :slight_smile:

Bob,
The ones I had in Thailand were picked when they were ripe (or almost) so they tasted much better than the ones sold in Indian grocery stores here. We have them in a store near us, too. Some of them tasted so " green/unripe", bland.

They are local fruit, sold seasonally, not really commercial grown like rambutans or longans. People know them but do not always find them in markets.

1 Like

fruits of mauritiana’s(or Indian/tropical jujubes) are usually bigger than the Chinese jujus. There are good cultivars, but generally not as favored as the chinese jujus. Tropical jujus are enigma’s too, just like the chinese jujus, as some really have a strong off-taste to me which other people couldn’t discern. Much like some peaches are bitter to some people but not to others.

2 Likes

I know this is an old thread but wanted to mention that I did find a person who has a very large Indian Jujube tree that I will be air layering. It has no fruits on it now.

Does any grow the Indian jujube here in the US? If you do, can you comment on the taste of the fruit and how larger your fruit gets?

If you have any photos of your tree leaves or fruits, I would like to see it. I noticed this tree has very large leaves so it does look different from the Chinese jujube (sugarcane, Li, Lang, etc). I’m hoping the larger fruits tastes good so it would be a good one to graft onto my Chinese jujube trees.

1 Like

i can’t grow Indian jujus in vegas(too cold here in winter) but that sounds right @george
i find indian jujus inferior to chinese jujus even though former is way more juicy than the latter.
Quite possible that have never really come across an indian juju variety that does not have a metallic taste. Of course taste is subjective, and the perception of taste can be due to the genetics of the individual tasting it(just like some people are color-blind or unable to smell certain scents)
Sugarcane(chinese jujube) often has this metallic taste too when ripened in extreme vegas summer temps.

anyway, below video is that of a bonafide indian jujube. It does well in arizona

2 Likes

I watched the video, he says it is a rootstock indian jujube so that is why the fruit is small and inferior. That is not the variety I’m talking about. Also the tree I saw has larger leaves and the guy tells me the size of the fruit is a little smaller than an chicken egg, and tastes good.

i agree, that is an inadvertently misleading comment that he forgot to elaborate on. Just like chinese jujubes when grown from seed, random indian jujubes grown from seed end up being used as rootstock if the fruits turn out to be inferior. Or used as rootstock straightaway even before they start fruiting as jujus can be difficult to strike from cuttings(indian jujus are a little easier though compared to chinese jujus in humid conditions), so good quality cultivars have to be grafted to random rootstock.

indian jujubes can also have varying leaf-sizes just like chinese jujus, below is a video of indian jujube with larger foliage that presents like an R4T3 chinese jujube.
among chinese jujubes the cultivars li, sherwood, GA-866 have subtantially larger leaves, and likewise have larger fruits, ranging from round, to pear-shaped, to heart-shaped/chicken egg shape
indian jujube fruits will also present with said shapes and sizes, depending on variety

2 Likes

My supervisor has a huge tree in SoCal and brings in the fruit each year. Some years are sweeter than others. But I can say, these are ALWAYS much juicer than any Chinese Jujube. Sometimes, sweeter, other times mild.
Fruit is also on the larger side compared to Chinese Jujube. For myself, I planted one in zone 9a AZ Spring 2023. It started as a single 1ft whip. It survived winter without protection (24 was the low this year with 5 nights hitting 25-26). It stayed evergreen and only had very minor dieback on the highest leaves, so this was a pleasant surprise after reading they are cold sensitive. It is now about 3ft tall and is branching a bit. It’s also a champ in the heat, and handled 3 months straight daily 110+ temps this year, while my 2 year old fig tree near it dried up. I have not had any fruit on mine yet, but it did put out flowers late winter into spring.

I found this pic of the fruit from earlier this year. Not as big or sweet as last year, but I can’t seem to find pics of those. Also, I assume these won’t graft to Chinese Jujube because these do not go dormant like Chinese jujube.

1 Like

Maybe, JoeReal had a pic of diospyros digyna grafted onto a temperate persimmon somewhere in southern California. Middle of winter, host completely defoliated, digyna branch fully leafed.
Inevitable question, what stops Indian and Chinese jujube from hybridization?

Interesting! I would have thought that stopping the flow of sap from the rootstock during dormancy, would end up killing an evergreen.

1 Like

Same here, I think that’s why he posted it, quite surprising!